MDRC is seeking a Research Assistant to join our Family Well-Being and Children's Development policy area and be part of a multidisciplinary team developing evaluation research on current social policy issues. Studies conducted in this policy area examine how the developmental trajectories of low-income children can be improved through interventions in family employment and economic security, family relationships and mental health, and child care and early education.
Among other projects, the Research Assistant hired for this position will work on an initiative building on aspects of high-quality preschool education likely to improve children's long-term outcomes. The Research Assistant will work under the guidance and supervision of leading researchers.
The Research Assistant will have a range of responsibilities, which may include:
- Involvement in various stages of producing reports, proposals, and papers (coordinating across authors; writing; preparing figures, charts, and tables; fact-checking; and documentation)
- Assistance in all stages of program and evaluation design and implementation
- Assistance in site operations; field research, including qualitative interviewing; and technical assistance
- General project support, including scheduling meetings and note-taking
- BA/BS in developmental psychology, economics, public policy, sociology, or related social science field
- Demonstrated interest in social policy issues affecting low-income children/families
- Basic understanding of quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to multi-task
- Comfortable working independently and as part of a team to accomplish goals in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio)
- Proficiency in qualitative analysis software (e.g., Dedoose)
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Proficiency in written and oral Spanish is a plus
- Previous experience working in a nonprofit or as a research assistant is a plus
- Previous experience in qualitative interviewing is a plus
The position is based in MDRC's New York office. Some on-the-job training is provided; salary contingent upon experience.
When applying, please attach a writing sample to your application.
Only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.
MDRC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. MDRC does not discriminate, and all qualified applications will receive consideration without regard to race; color; national origin; religion; creed; sex or gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression); sexual orientation; citizenship status; pregnancy; disability; age; military or veteran status; marital or partnership status; genetic information, genetic predisposition, or carrier status; prior unemployment status; consumer credit history; status as a victim of domestic violence, sex offenses, or stalking; or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Legal work authorization is required.