Evergreen Treatment Services, a private nonprofit that has been in operation since 1973, has earned a local, regional and national reputation for excellence in the services we provide. ETS operates four federally accredited opioid treatment programs for adults with opioid use disorders across western Washington, and a street-based, outreach and case management program for homeless adults with chemical dependency in downtown Seattle.
Evergreen Treatment Services’ Public Safety Specialist helps to maintain a safe and secure environment for all patients, staff, and visitors. Public Safety Specialists must be able to effectively communicate with members of the public with diverse backgrounds and education levels. This position requires skills to effectively prevent and or divert those behaviors that are considered to be in violation of ETS policies and patients’ Code of Conduct. The nature of this position is fast-paced, highly relational, and involves significant conflict resolution.
Job Functions (May Include)
- Monitor patients’ activities inside and outside the clinic grounds with intent to prevent or correct any violation of program rules and regulations.
- Maintain highest level of professionalism at all times.
- Ability to generate, analyze and edit various documents, including incident reports and other notes in electronic medical records.
- Monitor and direct patient flow as needed.
- Monitor and actively participate in management of hazardous materials and conditions.
- Enforce all ETS policies without any prejudice.
- Ability to follow all ETS policies and procedures at all times.
- Demonstrate highest level of integrity and maintain exceptional levels of confidentiality.
- Ability to operate oversized RV-style vehicle(s).
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent is required. Associates or Bachelor’s degree in social services, human relations, or psychology preferred.
Minimum two (2) years of experience in fields of social services, outpatient health care, or mental health.
Minimum two (2) years of experience in healthcare safety and security.
- Work independently; establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, patients, and outside contacts from a wide variety of ethnic, socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds.
- Solve problems under pressure, willingness to learn, demonstrate cooperative approach to conflict resolution.
- De-escalate aggressive behaviors using non-violent crisis intervention techniques.
- Demonstrate skills surrounding crisis management and/or management of aggressive behavior.
- Maintain the highest level of maturity and integrity when working with patients who are in addiction treatment.
- Travel reasonable distances using personal vehicle to accommodate staffing needs in remote clinic locations.
- Have a clean driving record for insurance purposes.
- Have basic computer knowledge.
- Pass criminal background check.
- Ability to present information in an effective manner and respond to questions from patients, staff, and general public.
- Ability to read and write professional correspondence.
- Above average abilities in communicating with highly diverse groups of people are strongly preferred.
Mathematical Skills and Reasoning Ability
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to apply business arithmetic skills accurately and rapidly; basic math skills required.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where standardization may be limited. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, schedule or diagram format.
- The employee is expected to walk through the facilities and outside grounds, potentially during inclement weather for extended periods of time; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear; rarely required to sit.
- The employee must be able to lift or move up to 50 pounds. The vision abilities of this position require close, color and peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus. Noise level in the work environment is moderate to high.
- The employee must be able to use stairs without any accommodations.
Common office equipment (i.e. office phone, fax, printer, copier, computer). Two way radio, cell phone. Large RV style Clinic III Van. Other equipment as needed.
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Evergreen Treatment Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer.