The Payroll and Accounts Payable Specialist position is responsible for key functions within the general Accounting/Finance Department. The position is responsible for the preparation of all disbursements related to the Accounts Payable and Payroll functions including preparing support for integration with the general accounting system. This role will include preparing reports and statistics reflecting all financial transactions associated with the accounts payable and payroll activity. Position will maintains all related accounts and records of disbursements, expenses and tax payments. Prepares, files and/or reviews payroll tax returns and other reports to government agencies.
This position serves as a critical part of the accounting team within the Accounting & Finance department in respect to the accounts payable and payroll functions and supports the department in creating accurate and timely financial records. This position will partner with other members of the Accounting/Finance Department to ensure accurate records and processes regarding all financial matters. Key to success is understanding fully both our Payroll partner’s processes, and how to our electronic general ledger system works. This role may require building and managing key bank relationships critical to tracking the availability of funds within the core operating accounts to ensure there is adequate cash on hand for the disbursements being made. This role will operate under our internal financial controls relative to both Accounts Payable and Payroll and any external contractual compliance requirements. It is critical that this person completes, in partnership with other members of the finance and compliance teams as needed, all related quarterly and annual payroll tax schedules and work with the compliance department to ensure their work in in line with related compliance guidelines.
The nature of this position is fast-paced, with multiple, simultaneous, extremely detailed responsibilities at any given time.
Essential Job Functions (May Include)
- Analyzes accounts payable (“AP”) and payroll (“PR”) records, including PR reports from our payroll service, AP aging reports and other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness and conformance to standards defined within the department.
- Pays or reviews all vendor invoices and payroll reports to ensure accuracy.
- Works with the Controller on appropriate fiscal and asset maximization for the organization.
- Reviews records of accounts and disbursement streams to ensure accuracy and to support future budget preparation involvement.
- Develops or suggests improvements to systems for the maintenance of financial records, making use of current and evolving technologies as they become available.
- Assist in creating forms and manuals for accounting and bookkeeping personnel.
- Prepares required monthly AP & PR journal entries and performs related monthly account reconciliations.
- Documents financial transactions fully and to a reasonable businessman standard.
- Recommends financial actions by understanding the agency’s needs and analyzing accounting options.
- Manages payroll process and ensures that entries are submitted in an accurate and timely manner.
- Substantiates financial transactions by periodically auditing documents.
- Maintains accounting controls by preparing and recommending policies and procedures.
- Assists with audit and tax preparation by outside contractors as necessary.
- Reconciles financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account information.
- Maintains financial security by following and enforcing established internal controls.
- Prepares payments by verifying documentation, approvals and requesting any missing documentation.
- Answers accounting procedure questions by researching and interpreting accounting policy and regulations.
- Complies with federal, state, and local financial requirements by studying existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to standards, and advising management on needed actions.
- Prepares special financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends.
- Maintains confidence and protects operations by keeping financial information confidential.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Financial Management
- Detail Orientation
- Ethical Conduct
- The Payroll and Accounts Payable Specialist position has no direct supervisory responsibilities, but does serve as a coach and mentor for those throughout the agency on payroll matters, and expense coding and budget variance investigations.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or equivalent number of years of practical experience (minimum of 5 years of direct accounting experience). Certified Public Accountant/ Certified Management Accountant/Certified Payroll Professional accreditation is a plus.
- For those with a degree in Accounting, we require a minimum of 3 years of direct work experience in payroll and accounts payable.
- Work experience with general bookkeeping and financial statement preparation may be substituted. Demonstrated experience with accounting and payroll software is also required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting principles.
- Demonstrated experience with accounting software and spreadsheets such as MIP and Excel.
- Computer literate, with intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, as well as a high level of initiative in keeping current with technological change
- Ability to prioritize workload and activities of self and complete tasks in a timely and efficient manner
- Ability to develop and maintain budgeting and accounting systems that function in a transparent manner
- Experience in or knowledge of non-profit organizations
- Dependable, able to work under pressure; receptive to change, willingness to learn, cooperative approach to problem-solving
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, clients, and outside contacts from a wide variety of ethnic, socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds; good diplomatic skills
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check
- Flexible team player
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to read and interpret general business correspondence, policies and procedures, referral information, financial documentation and applicable government regulations.
- Ability to write business letters, uncomplicated reports, instructions, e-mails and procedures.
- Ability to present information effectively and respond to questions from patients, staff, referral sources and the general public.
Mathematical Skills and Reasoning Ability
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to apply business arithmetic skills accurately and rapidly.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where standardization may be limited. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, schedule or diagram format.
- Intermediate math skills.
- The employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear; frequently required to stand, walk and kneel; occasionally to climb balance, or stoop; rarely to crouch or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, color and peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is moderate.
- Computer, photocopier, fax machine, and phone.
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Evergreen Treatment Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer.