This position is accountable for collecting the maximum amount of funds due from patients, which may include a variety of collection techniques and payment types. With ongoing changes to the agency regulatory and software environment, this position must be open to supervision and to modifications in work processes. The nature of this position is fast-paced, involving steady interaction with patients throughout the work day, extensive partnering with other internal staff to accomplish agency goals, and regular conflict-resolution activities.
Job Functions (May Include)
- Collect payment from patients to maximize receipts (cash, medical coupons, insurance companies, government funding)
- In accordance with the Affordable Health Care Act, as a certified In Person Assister, determine a patient’s insurance eligibility and assist in enrolling the patient in Apple Health Care and/or in the Exchange for private health care coverage. The In Person Assister Certification must be obtained prior to, or no later than, 90 days after employment
- Contact patients regarding overdue accounts
- Issue dose holds and financial tapers for delinquent accounts
- Monitor and summarize all forms of payments from patients
- Provide patients with appropriate paperwork (e.g., payment receipts, insurance forms, income verification forms, payment contracts)
- Monitor newly admitted patients via the electronic medical records system
- Document adjustments and corrections to patient account activity
- Monitor and collect client income information as needed
- Prepare daily cash reports and daily cash deposit
- Create patient payment histories as needed upon patient request
- Enter point of sale and payment data into electronic medical record (EMR)
- Address patient disputes, attempting resolutions.
- Assign payment type for newly admitted patients, resolve any disparity between payment-type entered by ETS Intake staff and back up provided by referral source(s).
- Enter data collected on Income Verification forms turned by counseling staff into EMR.
- On a monthly basis, check all active patients for DSHS Eligibility, fill out Carrier Change forms as needed.
- Post payments, update and monitor Cash Payers status using available tracking tools.
- Indoctrinate all newly admitted patients on ETS patient’s financial responsibility payment and funding policies using agency documentation.
- Review patient account prior to discharge for refunds. Review or negotiate payment plan for any outstanding balance.
- Complete New Patient Check List to ensure that prior credit or debit, and any billable days prior to first Periodic billing are entered onto patient’s EMR account.
- Other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
In Person Assister Certification required. It may be obtained no later than 90 days after employment.
Minimum of two years’ experience involving collections and/or accounts receivable and reconciliation. Familiarity with Medical Insurance authorization procedures strongly desired.
- Ability to reconcile patient account data, including how much a patient owes the agency, using electronic tools such as Microsoft Excel and electronic medical records.
- Computer literate, with intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, intermediate to advanced working knowledge of Excel. Ability to identify new electronic tools appropriate for a task.
- A high level of initiative in keeping current with technological change and willingness to expand computer skills as requested.
- Ability to prioritize workload and activities and complete tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
- Dependable, able to work under pressure, receptive to supervision and to change, willingness to learn, cooperative and creative approach to problem solving.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, patients, and outside contacts from a wide variety of ethnic, socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds; good diplomatic skills.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
- Flexible team player with excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to read, generate and interpret general business correspondence, policies and procedures, referral information, financial documentation and applicable government regulations.
- Ability to write business letters, uncomplicated reports, instructions and procedures.
- Ability to present information effectively and respond to questions from patients, staff, referral sources and the general public.
Mathematical Skills and Reasoning Ability
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to apply business arithmetic skills accurately and rapidly; basic math skills required.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where standardization may be limited. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, schedule or diagram format.
- The employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear; frequently required to stand, walk and kneel; occasionally to climb balance, or stoop; rarely to crouch or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, color and peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is moderate.
Computer, photocopier, fax machine, and phone.