The Director of Catering is responsible for overseeing Catering to optimize revenue opportunities for the property.
- Catering Sales and Event Service Managers
- Catering Sales Manager
- Event Service Manager
Essential Duties / Tasks / Responsibilities:
- Monitor catering revenue pace and lead the Team in meeting and exceeding budgeted revenues.
- Formulate and approve Team travel for the year related to hotel promotion for catering events & weddings.
- Work cooperatively between PR and Marketing to establish strategic goals for attaining budgets.
- Direct, organize and supervise departmental activities including, but not limited to prospecting and qualifying potential leads, soliciting viable leads, and preparing and presenting written proposals/contracts and oral presentations.
- Direct and develop team member’s performance to include, but not limited to, providing supervision and professional development, scheduling, coaching and counseling, timely evaluations, improving performance and delivering recognition and reward.
- Recruit, interview and on board new team members.
- Assist in compiling catering forecasts, collect and report sales data and manage the department budget.
- Develop target lists and action plans for account solicitation, assist in assignment and distribution of leads and inquiries.
- Conduct property tours showcasing all hotel services available; entertain customers on property during site inspections, pre-planning trips, and program operation when appropriate. Complete required site forms to alert the hotel of site tours in advance.
- Direct maintenance of catering files, accounts and additional administrative duties.
- Participate in hotel executive committee meetings weekly.
- Develop and maintain relationships with competitive set and actively participate in community organizations and professional associations to maintain visibility and market share.
- Excellent knowledge of the hotel's surroundings including the history, culture and points of interest.
- Qualify incoming leads, send proposals, contracts and addendums when needed to negotiate group business using marketing and sales resources.
- Negotiate meeting room rental, function space, and hotel services within approved booking guidelines.
- Establish method of payment, process initial deposit and/or begin the direct bill application process prior to turnover to Event Services Manager.
- Follow up on outstanding proposals and contracts to effectively close business.
- Process definite contracts and route information appropriately to the following Grand Performers using the turnover process: 1. Event Service Manager 2. Controller
- Analyze competition, market trends and customer needs to continually assess the productivity against established goals and budgets.
- Analyze historical, current and future hotel performance to capture the maximum amount of revenue and meet/exceed his/her individual catering goals and catering budget.
- Maximize revenue by selling all facets of the hotel to include restaurant, spa, gallery and outlets.
- Manage account details so all pertinent aspects of solicitation and closing are complete and documented in required sales and catering system.
- Track monthly production towards quarterly catering goals set forth by management using required documentation.
- Competently utilizes the required systems/equipment and platforms to effectively evaluate availability, profitability and track the progress of groups from proposal through execution.
- Maintain accurate, organized and up-to-date files including computer filing and sales platform records (attachments, traces, activities, etc.).
- Participate in monthly Playbook meetings to develop promotions and collateral to assist with selling the properties. Effectively use Kessler branded collateral throughout the sales process.
- Conduct weekly department meeting to review catering pace, systems reports, company/department updates.
- Actively participate in all sales/operational meetings to include National Sales Organization collaboration.
- Quarterly travel is required to attend customer events, conduct outside sales calls and participate in trade shows.
- Develop and maintain a working relationship with national franchised brands.
- Knowledge of all Kessler Collection hotels to effectively cross-sell.
- Complete required reporting and documentation.
- Use logic, integrity and sound judgment when making business decisions by considering the big picture, operational needs and impact on other departments.
- Participate in weekly staff and group resume and EO meetings with operations.
- Conduct monthly one on one’s with team members to provide support, leadership and direction.
- Perform other duties assigned to meet business needs.
- Conduct daily business review meeting with catering team to review current prospects, site tours, and previous day’s business activity.
Experience / Education / Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree - preferred
- Hospitality or related industry experience - required
- Previous revenue management and sales experience – required
- Valid Driver’s License – required
- Knowledgeable of Top-Accounts for the Hotel - preferred