Billing Supervisor Job Description
• Responsible for planning, organizing and managing billing operations. Assist in setting strategic direction, lead, and mentor a group of about 10 direct reports.
• Ability to work cross functionally
• Responsible for monitoring and helping drive improvements in the following Key Performance Indicators: Bad Debt, DSO, Cash Collections, call monitoring and AR.
• Oversee billing call center operations performance in a multi-site environment. Monitor performance, drive best practices and continuous improvement throughout each transaction.
• Negotiate with outside service providers including systems vendors, printers and collection agencies.
• Responsible for the recruitment, retention, and development of billing staff
• Coordinate systems implementation upgrades and improvements in our billing and financial systems and oversee the support and maintenance of all financial systems related to billing
• Ensure customer needs are identified, monitored, and practices modified to maximize customer satisfaction within established standards.
• Motivate, facilitate, mentor and coach subordinates to deliver high quality, cost effective services. Maintain cost to collect ratios.
• Ensure development of operating procedures in alignment with quality system.
• 7 + years of progressively responsible managerial experience in medical billing
• Minimum 5+ years managing employees and teams
• Strong understanding of billing practices, insurance reimbursement and is current on healthcare issues affecting reimbursement
• Required to communicate effectively orally and in writing
• Proficient with MS Office (word, power point, access); expert in Microsoft Excel; excellent with spreadsheet and medical billing software applications
• Thorough knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, physiology and disease process.
• Knowledge of medical reimbursement methodologies.
• Occasional travel.
• Bachelor degree or equivalent work experience required.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to work effectively with a wide range of people, teams, managers, supervisors, payors and vendors.
• Encourages teamwork; energetic, and motivates both teams and individuals.
• Maintains a cooperative work environment to foster the company's mission and values and to meet goals.
• Experienced and comfortable providing education to team members one-on-one and in group setting on a frequent basis and work with the providers to optimize their billing.
• Must have the ability to: think critically, work efficiently and responsibly in a collaborative environment with multiple work demands and short time frames
• Ability to adapt to a changing and growing atmosphere
• Make objective assessments and voice opinions even when unfavorable
• Must demonstrate leadership ability and support the mission, philosophy and values of the company
• Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and composure when handling difficult clients/stressful situations.
• Promote positive department morale through effective teamwork.