MDRC seeks technical researchers to join our public policy research organization. Technical researchers help MDRC maintain the highest standards of data quality and integrity. MDRC receives data files from a variety of sources and in a variety of formats. Technical researchers convert these data files to a form that is useful for answering research questions. Technical researchers often participate actively in quantitative analyses and contribute to new methodological advances. Because most of MDRC’s data collection is of primary data, technical researchers are at the cutting edge of policy research.
MDRC technical researchers have the unusual opportunity to work as part of multidisciplinary teams on current social policy issues in a dynamic and challenging environment — under the guidance and supervision of leading public policy researchers. Some on-the-job training is provided; salary and title contingent upon experience.
The main responsibility of technical researchers is to collect, process, manage, and analyze a variety of quantitative data sets to help other researchers determine the effectiveness of social programs and policies. Key responsibilities include:
- SAS computer programming to create outcome measures, restructure data files, perform data cleaning operations, and perform various forms of statistical and data analysis.
- Data collection and management.
- Writing technical memos that document data processing decisions and summarize the quality of data.
- Run statistical models to identify the impacts of social programs.
- Conduct other types of analysis, including survey response analysis.
- Contribute to analytical sections of research reports.
- BA/BS or master’s degree in statistics, economics, public policy, sociology, psychology, computer programming, mathematics, or a related field preferred.
- Experience applying quantitative research methods.
- Data management experience is highly desired.
- Experience with a statistical programming or database programming language (SAS preferred).
- Experience with Microsoft Office (especially Word and Excel).
- Strong technical documentation skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to work with data.
Only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. Please add a Programming sample to your application.
Please attach a programming sample to your application.
MDRC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. MDRC does not discriminate, and all qualified applications will receive consideration without regard to race; color; national origin; religion; creed; sex or gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression); sexual orientation; citizenship status; pregnancy; disability; age; military or veteran status; marital or partnership status; genetic information, genetic predisposition, or carrier status; prior unemployment status; consumer credit history; status as a victim of domestic violence, sex offenses, or stalking; or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Legal work authorization is required.