MDRC is seeking a Technical Research Assistant/Analyst to join MDRC’s growing research agenda. The position provides the successful candidate an opportunity to work as part of a multidisciplinary team in MDRC's Health & Barriers to Employment policy area. Under the guidance and supervision of leading policy analysts, the Research Assistant/Analyst will (1) collect, process, manage, and analyze a variety of quantitative data; (2) develop and implement data management protocols; (3) assist in the measurement and analysis of research findings; and (4) assist in the dissemination of results to policymakers, practitioners, and social scientists.
- SAS computer programming to process incoming source data; restructure data files; evaluate data quality and perform data-cleaning operations; sort, update, and merge data files; create outcome measures; and perform various forms of statistical and data analysis
- Create codebooks and other data documentation
- Contribute to and implement the project team’s data management and data security plans
- Write technical memos that document data processing decisions and summarize the quality of data
- Run statistical models to identify the impacts of the program
- Help train and supervise junior programmers
- Contribute to production of reports and papers. Tasks will include programming and other technical work and assisting in reviews of text, tables, and figures. The candidate may also be asked to contribute to analytical sections of research reports and papers, depending on his/her experience, writing skills, and interests and the needs of the lead authors.
- BA/BS or master’s degree in statistics, economics, public policy, public health, sociology, or a related field preferred
- Demonstrated experience with a statistical programming or database programming language (SAS preferred). Experience in using SAS or a comparable software package for a current or recent job or for an extended research project is highly valued. Candidates should be able to speak knowledgeably about and provide detailed descriptions of their current or recent use of SAS or a comparable software package.
- A good understanding of quantitative research methods and experience applying quantitative methods
- Strong data management experience is highly desired
- Demonstrated aptitude in mathematical or statistical reasoning
- Experience programming and analyzing complex administrative data sources is preferred
- Experience with Microsoft Office (especially Word and Excel)
- Strong technical documentation skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, and meet deadlines
The position is based in MDRC’s New York office. Salary contingent upon experience.
Only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.
MDRC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. MDRC does not discriminate, and all qualified applications will receive consideration without regard to race; color; national origin; religion; creed; sex or gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression); sexual orientation; citizenship status; pregnancy; disability; age; military or veteran status; marital or partnership status; genetic information, genetic predisposition, or carrier status; prior unemployment status; consumer credit history; status as a victim of domestic violence, sex offenses, or stalking; or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Legal work authorization is required.