We are looking for a SAS programmer who wants to do a lot more than “just program.” If you like solving technical problems, are intrigued by MDRC’s mission to build knowledge to improve social policy, and are motivated by supporting and developing staff, please read on about this unique position.
MDRC is a nonprofit organization committed to improving social policy through evidenced-based research. With more than 40 years of experience in the field, MDRC offers the successful candidate the opportunity to work with leaders in social science research.
This position is located in MDRC’s Research Technology Unit (RTU). The RTU’s goal is to provide research staff with the training, tools, and resources they need to manage, analyze, and present research data. The RTU interfaces with both entry-level and seasoned technical research staff, including project managers, data managers, and some of the top impact analysts, statisticians, and methodologists in the field. Two key areas of interest for the RTU are: building and sharing knowledge throughout the organization, and evaluating new technologies that allow MDRC to be more innovative and cost-effective in its research. The latter may involve evaluating capabilities of software like R, Python, and more.
This position is focused on providing training and support for MDRC’s technical research staff. There will also be opportunities to explore new capabilities and software to meet MDRC project needs.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Training staff in fundamentals through advanced practices of data management with SAS
- Assessing external training and/or developing new training classes about SAS and R
- Facilitating our internal technical users groups
- Evaluating how to develop skills and share best practices
- Maintaining a knowledge base
- Programming and trouble-shooting for select research projects
- Exploring new features, tools, and technologies
- Continuing to develop advanced programming skills through on-going professional development
- BA/BS degree or higher
- SAS programming experience, preferably 5 years or more
- R programming experience
- Three or more years of experience in a training and/or support role preferred
- Work well with a wide range of project staff, both technical and non-technical
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
Research experience is preferred. Some mentoring and on-the-job training provided.
Please attach a programming sample to your application.
Only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. Candidates will be expected to secure their own housing.
MDRC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. MDRC does not discriminate, and all qualified applications will receive consideration without regard to race; color; national origin; religion; creed; sex or gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression); sexual orientation; citizenship status; pregnancy; disability; age; military or veteran status; marital or partnership status; genetic information, genetic predisposition, or carrier status; prior unemployment status; consumer credit history; status as a victim of domestic violence, sex offenses, or stalking; or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Legal work authorization is required.