MDRC is seeking an entry-level Development Assistant to work in the Office of Development and External Affairs, which supports and strengthens the organization by identifying and securing project, infrastructure, and unrestricted funding and by supporting the development of programs and new project ideas across MDRC’s five policy areas.
MDRC is seeking candidates interested in nonprofit development and public policy research. The Development Assistant will have the unique opportunity to work in a dynamic and challenging environment as part of the organization’s development and external affairs team, focused on building foundation relationships and on social policy issues that affect low-income individuals and families.
The position provides the successful candidate an opportunity to focus on a range of development activities, including:
- Work closely with the Director of Program Development, the Senior Program Development Associate, and the Grants Manager, supporting activities with MDRC project staff and external funders, such as doing background research on foundations, generating and reviewing funder acknowledgement letters, and gathering and organizing funder data, among other tasks
- Create foundation profiles by researching foundation programs, grants, staffing, news updates, and financials
- Research and identify prospective funders for new and existing MDRC projects
- Assist with the management of the grants database and maintenance of the development files and systems
- Coordinate and assist with the production of proposals, which may include reviewing and tracking guidelines and deadlines, copyediting, compiling data, and working closely with project staff for online submissions
- Manage compliance reporting to funders, including tracking requirements and deadlines, working with fiscal and project staff on grant report submissions, and filling out reporting forms and grant portals
- Support project incubation and launch, such as coordination and background research for new projects
- Provide additional support for the core operations of the Office of Development
Candidates should have a bachelor’s degree, a demonstrated interest in education and/or social policy issues and nonprofit development, and a demonstrated ability to work effectively with others. Desired knowledge and skills include a basic understanding of nonprofit development and fundraising, excellent attention to detail and organization, ability to multitask, demonstrated emotional intelligence, strong interpersonal skills, strong writing skills, and strong computing skills. Discretion, good judgment, and the ability to handle confidential information appropriately and with tact is also critical. Candidates also should be comfortable working in a team-oriented and fast-paced environment.
This is a bachelor’s degree-level position. Education credentials higher than the requirements listed will not be considered.
The position is based in MDRC’s NYC office. Some on-the-job training is provided. Salary and level will be commensurate with experience. Comprehensive fringe benefits offered.
MDRC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. MDRC does not discriminate, and all qualified applications will receive consideration without regard to race; color; national origin; religion; creed; sex or gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression); sexual orientation; citizenship status; pregnancy; disability; age; military or veteran status; marital or partnership status; genetic information, genetic predisposition, or carrier status; prior unemployment status; consumer credit history; status as a victim of domestic violence, sex offenses, or stalking; or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Legal work authorization is required.