MDRC is seeking a Development Assistant to work in the Office of Development and External Affairs, which supports and strengthens the organization by securing project, endowment, and unrestricted funds and by supporting the development of programs and new project ideas with MDRC’s policy areas.
MDRC is seeking candidates interested in nonprofit development and public policy research. The Development Assistant will have the unusual opportunity to work in a dynamic and challenging environment as part of the organization’s development and external affairs team, focused on building foundation relationships and on social policy issues that affect low-income individuals and families.
The position provides the successful candidate an opportunity to focus on a range of development activities, including:
- Provide general support for the core operations of the Office of Development
- Support project incubation and launch, such as coordination and background research for new projects
- Working closely with the Director of Program Development, the Senior Program Development Associate, and the Grants Manager, support all external communications and activities with funders, which may include creating profiles of prospective funders, developing presentation materials, generating funder acknowledgements, and meeting reporting requirements from funders
- Coordinate and assist with the production of proposals
- Manage development database and maintain the development files and systems
- Support projects in external affairs, including issue tracking and basic policy research
Candidates should have a bachelor’s degree, a demonstrated interest in education and/or social policy issues and nonprofit development, and a demonstrated ability to work effectively with others. Desired knowledge and skills include a basic understanding of nonprofit development, excellent attention to detail and organization, ability to multitask, demonstrated emotional intelligence, strong interpersonal skills, strong writing skills, and strong computing skills. Discretion, good judgment, and the ability to handle confidential information appropriately and with tact is also critical. Candidates also should be comfortable working in a team-oriented and fast-paced environment.
The position is based in MDRC’s NYC office. Some on-the-job training is provided. Salary and level will be commensurate with experience. Comprehensive fringe benefits offered.
MDRC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. MDRC does not discriminate, and all qualified applications will receive consideration without regard to race; color; national origin; religion; creed; sex or gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression); sexual orientation; citizenship status; pregnancy; disability; age; military or veteran status; marital or partnership status; genetic information, genetic predisposition, or carrier status; prior unemployment status; consumer credit history; status as a victim of domestic violence, sex offenses, or stalking; or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Legal work authorization is required.