Equipment Technician - Animal Services
About MPI Research:
MPI Research, with global headquarters in Mattawan, Michigan, provides discovery, safety evaluation, bioanalytical, and analytical services to the biopharmaceutical, medical device, animal health, and chemical industries. Scientific knowledge and experience, integrity, trust, teamwork, and dedication to strong and enduring Sponsor relationships are the defining attributes that characterize MPI Research as a high-performance, high-quality organization that is committed to bringing safer and more effective products to the world. Learn more about how we can exceed your expectations at www.mpiresearch.com.
An Equipment Technician is part of a multi-faceted team that is responsible for providing compliant
caging and support equipment for all laboratory animals and for performing assigned technical and
administrative functions within the guidelines/requirements outlined in Standard Operating Procedures
(SOPs) that are essential for producing sound, reliable data. The individual in this role may need to handle
animals of multiple species
(Duties & Responsibilities – purpose of the function and result to be accomplished) include but are not limited to those listed:
· Prewashes animal housing/support equipment; sanitizes equipment, and stages equipment for entrance
and exit to wash area; cleans animal living environments ranging from small cages to large pens; and
flushes/cleans Chlorine Injector Stations and water lines in animal rooms.
· Performs start-up/safety checks and maintenance on automatic rack and tunnel washers; inspects
equipment and verifies that equipment is sanitized and washers operate properly; and may perform
basic repairs on animal housing.
· Organizes/maintains equipment storage warehouses and monitors housing usage/damage rates. Assists
with managing equipment inventory and disposal.
· Operates chemical dispensers; changes out chemical barrels/totes; and assists with maintaining
inventory for cleaning/sanitizing chemicals for vivarium.
· Prepares/fills orders for equipment and transports/delivers animal housing and support equipment to
various areas throughout the facility. May assist with the installation and transport equipment using
forklifts, hoists, slings, grinders, and cutting torches.
· Removes animals of varying species from cages and holds them or transports large animals to another
cage during equipment/cage repairs or cleaning; assesses conditions; checks for morbidity/mortality,
and obtains assistance for animal care if needed; provides water and bedding for animals if found in
cages outside of the assigned study rooms.
· Assists with orientation of less experienced personnel.
· Collects, reviews, and archives data.
· Other duties as assigned, including Essential Functions of other areas after cross-training is completed
(e.g. Colony Management).
· HS/GED or Bachelor’s degree with 1-3 years of relevant experience.
· Previous experience working with animals preferred.
· Basic familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite.
· Computer skills, commensurate with Essential Functions and including ability to learn a validated
· Ability to work extended hours beyond normal work schedule to include, but not limited to, evenings,
weekends, extended shifts and/or extra shifts, sometimes on short notice.
· Ability to work under specific time constraints.
Benefits at a Glance:
· MPI Research provides the following competitive benefits:
· Two choices of medical coverage, including prescription drug and vision coverage
· Two choices of dental coverage
· Medical and dependent pre-tax flexible spending accounts
· Paid time off bank and holidays
· Retirement savings plan – 401K plan with company matching on employee contributions
· Short/Long term disability plans, voluntary life insurance, and company paid life insurance
· Tuition reimbursement program
· Employee assistance program
· Employees at MPI Research also are given the opportunity to participate in company-sponsored events, wellness programs, self-directed work teams and open communications programs such as the All Employee Survey.
MPI Research is an EO employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability.