The purpose of this position is to source, research and underwrite private market opportunities, with a strong preference/emphasis on private equity (primaries, secondaries, co-investments, etc.) and real estate strategies. Although the manager research process is conducted in a team-oriented environment, it will be essential for a senior member of the team to have the prerequisite experience to be able to take individual accountability for the final ranking decision and to deliver specific recommendations to Russell Investments’ fiduciary and global advisory clients. As a result, this position will serve as a “rank owner” across a range of private market strategies and will have a significant impact on the success of the Investment Division’s overall research effort.
The responsibilities of the individual in this position include:
- Responsible for developing and maintaining deep and rich buy lists of candidate managers for Russell Investments’ portfolio managers and consulting clients
- On-going relationship development with a broad set of industry participants to expand networks and support idea generation.
- Engage and lead research meetingswith high interest candidate managers and document research findings
- Attend manager and industry conferences in an effort to establish relationships, monitor select managers and generate investment ideas
- Perform market research to opportunistically assess relative value on a global basis and proactively target investment opportunities.
- Mentoring Research Analysts and providing guidance on analysis being performed
- Prepares qualitative and quantitative analysis to support documentation of manager interactions and support investment recommendations
- Prepare and present Sounding Board document
- Present strategy views at periodic Investment Division Asset Class Strategy Forums
- Set up and participate in regular and ad hoc calls with managers for the purposes of monitoring activities and refreshing current views on markets in which they are invested
- Within the respective vertical coverage, act as a private markets subject matter expert for Russell Investments client service, funds management, media relations, and consulting efforts
The successful candidate will have extensive demonstrable skills and experiences including the following:
- BA or BS Finance, Accounting, Economics or related discipline, CFA, CAIA certification preferred
- 7+ years of relevant private markets experience, ideally serving in a senior research capacity
- Proven analytical, technical, and systems-based skills
- Proven ability to explain complex investment topics orally and in writing
- Self-starter and able to demonstrate initiative
- Established base of private equity and/or real estate manager relationships as well as a leverageable industry network
- Demonstrated track record of leading investment due diligence and ideally supporting discretionary asset management activities
- Demonstrated ability to understand and use financial theory and tools
- Demonstrated ability to think independently and to make an investment case
- Ability to perform detailed quantitative attribution across a broad range of private market strategies
- Integrity and Trust: Credible and confident with the ability to persuade and execute. Honest and accountable for follow through and accuracy.
- Leadership: Models self-leadership and strong interpersonal, networking, and communication skills
- Drive for Results: Sets high standards and pushes self and others to perform - strong drive and tenacity
- Client Focus: Strong client orientation and capacity to proactively establish and maintain effective relationships. Is dedicated to listening, recognizing, and responding to needs. Innovative, flexible, agile, pragmatic, dynamic and committed to excellence
- Critical Thinking: Explores all sources of information. Provides honest analysis and effective, timely, decisions
- Communication: Strong ability to communicate and facilitate decisions and execution both verbally and in writing
Russell Investments is a global financial services firm that serves institutional investors, financial advisors and individuals working with their advisors in more than 40 countries.
Founded in 1936, Russell Investments is one of only a few firms that offers actively managed multi-asset portfolios and services that include advice, investments and implementation. With core capabilities extending across capital market insights, manager research, asset allocation, portfolio implementation and factor exposures Russell Investments stands with clients to achieve their desired investment outcomes.
A pioneer, Russell Investments began its strategic pension fund consulting business in 1969 and today is a consultant to some of the largest pools of capital in the world. With four decades of experience researching and selecting investment managers, meeting annually with more than 2,200 managers around the world, Russell Investments is well-known worldwide for its investment advice.
Headquartered in Seattle, Washington, Russell Investments operates globally with 21 offices (as of August 2016) across the world, providing Investment Services in the world’s major financial centers, including London, Paris, Amsterdam, Sydney, Tokyo, Shanghai, San Diego and New York.
Russell Investments offers a competitive compensation and benefit package to associates including: medical, vision and dental coverage; a profit-sharing retirement plan; sabbatical leave every 10 years; and tuition assistance. Most importantly, Russell Investments offers a work environment where respect for the individual and teamwork are part of our fundamental values. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Russell Investments supports workforce diversity.