The Operational Risk Analyst will identify and assess operational risk factors at prospective and currently funded traditional and alternative (hedge fund, private equity, private real estate, infrastructure) investment managers through the performance of operational due diligence reviews.
The responsibilities of the individual in this position include:
- Evaluates business, compliance, and operational risks associated with traditional and alternative investment managers relative to the scope of the Global Manager Oversight and Due Diligence (GMODD) program requirements by conducting desktop and/or on-site reviews of investment managers globally.
- Leads due diligence reviews focusing on several areas including, but not limited to, organizational structure, regulatory compliance, legal entity risks, fund structure risks, allocation policy, valuation policy, cash and collateral management, trading infrastructure, asset monitoring, information technology, background checks as well as third party service providers utilized by the investment manager (e.g. administrator, prime broker, custodian, auditor).
- Reviews investment manager documentation including offering memorandums, fund formation documents, deal documents, financial statements, regulatory filings, due diligence questionnaires, and policies and procedures.
- Prepares written reports for internal and external distribution documenting the due diligence performed, findings and recommendations to support conclusions.
- Communicates summary conclusions to internal parties and conducts follow-up with investment managers on any recommendations or risk findings, as needed.
- Ensures records management/data systems are maintained and up to date.
- Supports presentations of the due diligence program in meetings with current and prospective clients.
- Contributes to enhancements of the Russell Investments’ due diligence program.
The successful candidate will have extensive demonstrable skills and experiences including the following:
- Bachelor's Degree in relevant field required, MBA preferred.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in a Business Analyst, Operations, or Compliance role within financial services. Operational Due Diligence experience preferred.
- Knowledge of private equity / real estate / hedge fund strategies and trading, valuation, reconciliation issues and best practices of the industry.
- Ability to articulate concerns/issues effectively to internal and external senior investment management professionals.
- Demonstrated initiative to work independently and engage, undirected, in execution of responsibilities required.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills integrating tact and diplomacy required.
- Ability to professionally represent the firm required.
- Knowledge of Excel, Word, PowerPoint required.
- Familiarity with various industry order management and portfolio accounting packages required.
- Ability to assess valuation and reconciliation issues associated with complex financial instruments preferred.
- Familiarity with various global regulatory and compliance regimes, rules, and regulations preferred.
- Familiarity with investment best practices with respect to operations, accounting, technology, and compliance preferred.
Russell Investments is a global financial services firm that serves institutional investors, financial advisors and individuals working with their advisors in more than 40 countries.
Founded in 1936, Russell Investments is one of only a few firms that offers actively managed multi-asset portfolios and services that include advice, investments and implementation. With core capabilities extending across capital market insights, manager research, asset allocation, portfolio implementation and factor exposures Russell Investments stands with clients to achieve their desired investment outcomes.
A pioneer, Russell Investments began its strategic pension fund consulting business in 1969 and today is a consultant to some of the largest pools of capital in the world. With four decades of experience researching and selecting investment managers, meeting annually with more than 2,200 managers around the world, Russell Investments is well-known worldwide for its investment advice.
Headquartered in Seattle, Washington, Russell Investments operates globally with 21 offices (as of August 2016) across the world, providing Investment Services in the world’s major financial centers, including London, Paris, Amsterdam, Sydney, Tokyo, Shanghai, San Diego and New York.
Russell Investments offers a competitive compensation and benefit package to associates including: medical, vision and dental coverage; a profit-sharing retirement plan; sabbatical leave every 10 years; and tuition assistance. Most importantly, Russell Investments offers a work environment where respect for the individual and teamwork are part of our fundamental values. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Russell Investments supports workforce diversity.