Job Title: Online Organizer, Partnerships and Political Programs
Department: Digital Strategies
Location: Washington, DC
Reports To: Director of Online Campaigns
Context: Crafts and executes a national online organizing strategy that includes developing an active, online network of Club members and supporters engaged in the Sierra Club’s Partnerships and Political Programs. These programs include the Club’s work on voting rights, campaign finance, open government, environmental justice, supporting our allies in Labor, and our Political Program. This position will also work on our Electric Vehicles and Gender and Environment programs. Works with appropriate campaign staff to use Club's online data, web, email and mobile systems to drive the strategy and further advance the goals of the campaign.
Scope: The Online Organizer plans, strategizes and implements the online education and mobilization efforts primarily for the Partnerships and Political Programs, as well as the digital work of our Electric Vehicles and Gender and Environment Programs. Accesses Club database systems to assess results, build data files, and target online organizing strategies. Coordinates editing, writing, researching and developing online web pages and action alerts to support the online activist network at the national level. Manages campaign’s online organizing program budget and works with vendors and creative campaign launches.
- Works with others to devise and recommend a plan and strategy for the Sierra Club’s Partnerships and Political Programs. Leads implementation of strategy through writing, editing, and production of online tools.
- Organizes, develops, and coordinates online email outreach, web-based advocacy, and online-to-offline integration of members and supporters.
- Recommends and implements rapid response plans.
- Uses Club integrated email/web/constituent relationship management system to develop segmented lists, track and report results, target emails, and link to appropriate web pages. Assists with the coordination of vendors as assigned.
- Continually finds ways to identify and recruit/convert new supporters, reach new and diverse audiences online and get them involved and excited in online programs. Reaches out and engages online volunteers to win campaigns, build power and raise funds.
- Travels to organize and coordinate training events, strategy sessions, field meetings, visibility events, or other large events and conferences as needed.
- Communicates directly with the Sierra Club’s online network, including writing and editing content. Responds to questions, forwards inquires to other staff or volunteers, and provides a high level of customer service for the online network.
- Participates in developing campaign strategy and implementing an integrated presence on existing social networking sites as well as the campaign’s specific web-presence.
- Creates culturally competent digital strategies to grow and engage frontline communities on email, social media, mobile, and on new emerging platforms.
- Assists in production of online campaign materials as needed.
- Performs administrative duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as directed.
Knowledge & Skills:
- 2-3 years of experience in online organizing or campaigning. Strong background in advocacy or political campaign organizing.
- Strong background in online to offline organizing required.
- Proficient computer skills and prior experience or aptitude with internet applications including email, constituent relationship management or other related data systems, social networking systems and web applications. Familiarity with Salesforce a plus.
- Excellent writing and editing skills. Demonstrated skills in writing and production of online campaign materials. Good verbal communication skills – a high level of campaign staff collaboration and satisfaction is expected.
- Prior experience developing and launching creative web-based campaigns, tools and activities to drive online activism.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to work effectively in an action-oriented office.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and respond quickly to breaking news while maintaining a high quality level of work.
- Ability to work independently, cooperatively and effectively with public, staff and volunteers.
- A commitment to equity, inclusion and social and environmental justice as a foundation for environmental work.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit and is subject to the terms and conditions of the contract between Sierra Club and John Muir Local.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan. This is a category 5 exempt position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) organization. Sierra Club does not sponsor H1B visas.
Sierra Club is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
*If you are applying for more than one position with us, please attach your job-specific cover letters in the 'Attachments' section.