Job Title: Manager, Online Organizing
Department: Digital Strategies
Location: Washington, DC or Oakland, CA
Reports To: Director of Online Campaigns
Supervises: 4 to 6 Online Organizers with various portfolios
Context: Manages online organizing efforts for assigned campaigns and programs. Participates in the development and implementation of digital projects and resources to support campaigns/programs.
Scope: Works with campaign staff to employ Sierra Club's digital tools (data, web, email, social media, mobile, etc.) to engage Sierra Club supporters online to drive the strategy and advance the goals of the campaign. Manages and tracks online organizing activity executed as part of campaigns and programs. Supports national online organizing projects as needed.
- Manages online organizing staff responsible for national and local online engagement for assigned campaigns and programs. Reviews the work of staff and provides training and ongoing performance feedback. Conducts formal performance evaluations, and takes appropriate disciplinary action when needed. Makes recommendations in hiring, termination, and salary decisions.
- Works with online organizers and other staff to devise and recommend online engagement plans for specific regions and on specific national efforts in conjunction with campaigns or programs.
- Participates in management of national and local online projects as needed to spur large scale growth and engagement of online activists with particular emphasis on federal policy outcomes. Includes budget management, assistance in vendor identification and management, project execution, testing, launch and post-campaign measurement and evaluation.
- Organizes, develops, and coordinates online email outreach, web-based advocacy, and online-to-offline integration of the members and supporters who are interested in assigned campaigns and programs.
- Recommends and implements rapid-response plans for national campaigns as needed.
- Travels to organize and coordinate training events, strategy sessions, field meetings, visibility or other large events and conferences as needed.
- Participates in developing a national and state-based strategy for assigned campaigns and programs,supporting social networking, web-presence, and state-based websites.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as required.
Knowledge & Skills:
- 1-3 years of management experience which includes at least 1 year of experience developing and implementing coordinated communications and organizing strategies.
- 3-5 years of experience in online organizing or campaigning with a strong background in advocacy, digital project management, and grassroots organizing.
- Proficient computer skills and prior experience or aptitude with internet applications including email, constituent relationship management or other related data systems, social networking systems, and web applications.
- Previous experience developing and managing online creative campaigns, preferably including the management of design and web development vendors and large scale email acquisition campaigns.
- Excellent writing and editing skills. Demonstrated skills in writing and production of online campaign materials. Good verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with campaign staff, volunteers, and the general public.
- Strong organizational, leadership, and problem-solving skills and ability to work effectively in an action-oriented office.
- Ability to work independently, cooperatively, and effectively with the public, staff, and volunteers.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan. This is a category 4 exempt position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) organization. Sierra Club does not sponsor H1B visas.
Sierra Club is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
*If you are applying for more than one position with us, please attach your job-specific cover letters in the 'Attachments' section.