Job Title: Senior Online Organizer, Federal Resistance
Department: Digital Strategies
Location: Washington, DC preferred
Reports To: Manager, Online Organizing Special Projects
Context: Multiple Sierra Club campaigns (Beyond Coal, Our Wild America, etc.) are collaborating on a “Resistance” team to defend the progress we’ve made over the last several years that impacts our air, water, public lands, climate and human health. This position will craft and execute this team’s online organizing strategy that includes developing an active, online network of Club members and supporters engaged in the national resistance work. Work with appropriate campaign staff to use Club's online data, web, mobile, and email systems to drive the strategy and further advance the goals of the campaign.
Scope: The Sr. Online Organizer plans, strategizes and implements the online education and mobilization efforts of the national campaign. Accesses Club database systems to assess results, build data files, and target online organizing strategies. Coordinates editing, writing, researching and developing online web pages and action alerts to support the online activist network at the national level. Manages campaign’s online organizing budget and works with vendors and creative campaign launches.
- Works with others to devise and recommend a plan and strategy for online organizing work across various campaigns to resist congressional and administrative action that would adversely impact air, water, public lands, climate, and human health. Leads implementation of strategy through writing, editing, and production of online tools.
- Organizes, develops, and coordinates online email outreach, web-based advocacy, social media, mobile, distributed organizing, and online-to-offline integration of members and supporters who are interested in congressional and administrative resistance.
- Recommends and implements rapid response plans for congressional and administrative attacks on priority issues.
- Uses Club integrated email/web/constituent relationship management system to develop segmented lists, track and report results, target emails, and link to appropriate web pages. Assists with the coordination of vendors as assigned.
- Uses mobile tools, including broadcast SMS and peer-to-peer tools, to communicate with members and supporters to support various campaign activities.
- Continually finds ways to identify and recruit/convert new supporters, reach new and diverse audiences online and get them involved and excited in online programs. Monitors daily events and trending topics to provide rapid response to breaking news, including ways for our core audience to take action. Reaches out and engages online volunteers to win campaigns, build power and raise funds.
- Travels to organize and coordinate training events, strategy sessions, field meetings, visibility events, or other large events and conferences as needed.
- Communicates directly with members of all Sierra Club campaigns involved in broader work resisting the Trump Administration and congressional activity, including writing and editing content. Responds to questions, forwards inquiries to other staff or volunteers, and provides a high level of customer service for the online network.
- Participates in developing a strategy and implementing an integrated presence on existing social networking sites as well as the campaign’s specific web-presence.
- Coordinates with other Online Organizers to ensure other campaigns incorporate national messaging and strategy.
- Performs administrative duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as directed.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Three to five years’ experience in online organizing or campaigning.
- Strong background in advocacy or political campaign organizing.
- Proficient computer skills and prior experience or aptitude with internet applications including email, constituent relationship management or other related data systems, social networking systems and web applications.
- Excellent writing and editing skills. Demonstrated skills in writing and production of online campaign materials. Good verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to work effectively in an action-oriented office.
- Ability to work independently, cooperatively and effectively with public, staff and volunteers.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit and is subject to the terms and conditions of the contract between Sierra Club and John Muir Local.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan. This is a category 4 exempt position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) organization. Sierra Club does not sponsor H1B visas.
The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
*If you are applying for one than one position with us, please attach your job-specific cover letters in the 'Attachments' section.