Job Title: Director, National Resistance Campaign
Reports To: National Program Director
Supervises: Associate Campaign Representative
Context: Having a robust defense against Trump Administration and Congress's assaults on planet requires full utilization of all Sierra Club capacities. This person will make sure this happens by leading the cross-campaign cross-capacity National Resistance efforts of the Sierra Club with a focus on coordinating the strategy-setting and implementation teams.
Scope: This role has overall project management responsibility, and provides experienced leadership and strategic planning for the National Resistance work. This role is envisioned as the Owner of our federal defense work.
Program supervision responsibility includes working with key campaigns and capacities and with the teams identified to develop and manage campaign activities, support the Field Action Request (FAR) process in developing priorities, coordinating with allies and internal stakeholders, and overseeing program budget. Acts as a senior advisor to staff colleagues and volunteers. Manages an Associate Campaign Representative that will support overall project management and special projects as assigned. Will also give strategic guidance to dedicated staff in key capacities like Digital Strategies and Communications.
- Leads and Coordinates the National Resistance work - Works collaboratively with campaigns and capacities to develop the annual and long term strategy, goals/results, and program/campaign plan and to monitor and report progress. This is both about specific policy responses and about how those responses can build long-term power. Ensures implementation of the plan through regular check-ins with key capacities and campaigns.
- Budget and funding - Establishes and manages the budget with campaigns, capacities, Sierra Club Foundation and the Sierra Club Executive team in partnership with the Core leadership team. Sets and communicates criteria with Core team, Solicits proposals, makes recommendations and manages the process for final allocations. Manages expenses in an on-going way and helps raise money and report back to donors.
- State Tables and local action (State Action Teams etc) - works with Organizing, Digital Strategies, Communications, Chapters, Training Department to ensure Sierra Club has the right targets and activities as we are turning out trained members and activists to things like Resistance Recess and other on-the-ground distributed actions and helps ensure effective delivery of organizing program, and evaluate field organizing work.
- FAR Process – Works with Organizing staff to provide clear guidance on highest priority C3 and C4 field action requests and manages the request-flow so that it feels manageable and targeted.
- Works with Allies to maximize Sierra Club impact – Stays abreast of strategy from the Combined Defense Project and other initiatives of CAC and Green Group and other Progressive allies. Also needs to stay attuned to the overall priorities of the Progressive movement to ensure we are engaging at the most strategic times and places even when that’s outside of our normal area of focus.
- Coordinates with the Communications Department, helping strategize with communications staff to develop media outreach plans, develop tools for use by field and chapter staff, serve as Sierra Club spokesperson to national media outlets, and promote volunteer media exposure.
- Partners with Digital Strategies to develop innovative campaign strategies using email, web, social and mobile tactics. Is responsible for managing commitments we make to online work done in collaboration with external partners, including technology, project timelines, and data sharing.
- Works in collaboration with teams of staff and volunteers to ensure that volunteers assume meaningful roles in the program/campaign.
- Supports and provides senior level professional expertise to staff and volunteers.
- Introduces creative ideas and approaches for consideration.
- Handles miscellaneous projects and duties as assigned and is responsible for overall project management related to Sierra Club’s Resistance work.
- Serves as supervisor, when applicable, of employees assigned to the program. These activities include program implementation oversight, performance evaluation, and hiring. Will also likely retain and manage consultants for specific projects.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Proven experience as a facilitator and team-leader, with experience navigating a complex organizational environment, and ideally some experience managing a high-stakes cross-departmental effort.
- 5-10 years of experience as campaign representative, or in a comparable position in another organization which includes substantial experience planning and managing a national level campaign, including strategy, organizing, lobbying , media, digital strategies, data management, program/employee management, budget planning and management, and work with senior level political leaders. Successful experience working in a matrix-management system a plus.
- 3-5 years of prior experience in fundraising that includes foundation relations, individual solicitation of major gifts, and grant‑funded project development and oversight. Demonstrated effectiveness as a major gift fundraiser.
- Excellent demonstrated written and oral communication skills. Demonstrated public speaking and media presentation ability.
- Experience, demonstrated skill and ability, in national media relations.
- Substantial experience and demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with volunteers.
- Fluency and experience with new and emerging organizing technologies and strategies.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan. This is a category 3 exempt position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) organization. Sierra Club does not sponsor H1B visas.
The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
*If you are applying for more than one position with us, please attach your job-specific cover letters in the 'Attachments' section.