Job Title: Senior Campaign Representative - Beyond Coal Campaign
Location: Knoxville/Nashville, TN Preferred
Reports To: Associate Regional Campaign Director, Manager
Context: Plans, directs, implements, and manages all aspects of TVA strategy within the Beyond Coal Campaign.
Scope: Develops and directs efforts to move the Tennessee Valley Authority (“TVA”) from coal and gas to clean energy. Collaborates with various internal departments and programs, partner organizations, and volunteer leadership to ensure execution of a strategic coordinated state-based campaign and manages daily operation of this campaign. Ensures strategic alignment of the state campaign with regional and national goals and objectives; communicates national priorities and benchmarks to state teams. Creates and executes state-based campaign work plans and revises plans as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements. Identifies resources needed and assigns individual responsibilities. Prepares and submits weekly progress reports. Represents the Sierra Club to government officials, the media, business and community leaders, allies and other organizations, and to the public.
Campaign: The Beyond Coal Campaign is a nationwide effort to eliminate coal and gas from the electric sector no later than 2030 and replace the existing fossil fuel infrastructure with a clean energy economy fueled by wind, solar, and geothermal. The Beyond Coal Campaign is working to retire and replace the existing fleet of coal plants with clean energy, block the expansion of the gas industry, and support a just transition for workers and communities that have relied on the fossil fuel industry. The Beyond Coal campaign is experiencing significant growth and is seeking passionate and highly skilled advocates to join our team. To learn more about our campaign visit: http://beyondcoal.org.
- Directs TVA strategy on behalf of the Beyond Coal Campaign’s efforts to move from coal and gas to clean energy. Develops and implements strategic campaign working in collaboration with Sierra Club’s Environmental Law Program, Organizing Department, Chapters, Communications Department, Digital Strategies, Sierra Club’s other capacities and programs, and volunteer leadership.
- In collaboration with state team, engages key players in state power generation, state elected and appointed decision-makers, and executives in the clean energy industry to assure advancement of Sierra Club’s priorities.
- Supports and provides senior-level professional expertise to staff and volunteers. Provides conservation training and motivation to staff and volunteers.
- Works to develop and ensure that volunteers assume meaningful roles in the campaign.
- Directs media outreach activities related to the campaign in collaboration with the Chapters as assigned. Serves as Sierra Club spokesperson to media outlets and promotes volunteer media exposure.
- Writes, edits, and reviews educational and advocacy materials.
- Provides analysis and support of campaign budget and quarterly forecasts.
- Represents the Sierra Club to the general public and to strategic allies.
- In cooperation with Advancement, participates in major donor and foundation solicitation and cultivation.
- Reports on progress toward established goals and the effectiveness of campaign strategies.
- Introduces creative ideas and approaches; fosters creativity among team members.
- Handles miscellaneous projects and duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Skills:
- B.A./B.S. degree in an environmental, political, legal, or related field.
- At least 5 years of experience in the planning and implementation of campaigns, which includes experience:
- planning and managing a state or regional level legislative campaign;
- working with attorneys and utilizing legal advocacy;
- media relations and strategic communications;
- working with senior level political and business leaders;
- Experience working with organized labor is a plus.
- Excellent knowledge of the electric sector, including coal-fired generation and renewable energy.
- Excellent demonstrated written and oral communication skills. Demonstrated public speaking and media presentation ability.
- Demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with volunteers.
- Valid driver’s license, satisfactory driving record, and proof of auto insurance required.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit and is subject to the terms and conditions of the contract between Sierra Club and Progressive Workers Union. The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan. This is a category 3 exempt position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) organization. Sierra Club does not sponsor H1B visas.
Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce.
*If you are applying for more than one position with us, please attach your job-specific cover letters in the 'Attachments' section.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.