Job Title: National Online Organizer
Department: Digital Strategies
Location: Oakland, CA, Chicago, IL, Washington, DC
Reports To: Online Organizing Manager
Context: Crafts and executes the national program’s online organizing strategy, that includes developing an active, online network of Club members and supporters engaged in the national campaign. Works with appropriate campaign staff to use Club's online data, web, mobile, and email systems to drive the strategy and further advance the goals of the campaign and to make the Sierra Club a more inclusive place for everyone.
Scope: The National Online Organizer plans, strategizes and implements the online education and mobilization efforts of the program. Accesses Club database systems to assess results, build data files, and target online organizing strategies. Coordinates editing, writing, researching and developing online web pages, mobile strategies, and action alerts to support the online activist network at the national level. Manages campaign’s online organizing budget and works with vendors and creative campaign launches.
- Works with others to devise and recommend a plan and strategy for the program’s online organizing work in conjunction with overall Sierra Club campaign strategy. Leads implementation of strategy through writing, editing, and production of online tools.
- Organizes, develops, and coordinates online email outreach, web-based advocacy, and online-to-offline integration of members and supporters who are interested in the program’s work.
- Recommends and implements rapid response plans for the program.
- Uses Club integrated email/web/constituent relationship management system to develop segmented lists, track and report results, target emails, and link to appropriate web pages. Assists with the coordination of vendors as assigned.
- Continually finds ways to identify and recruit/convert new supporters, reach new and diverse audiences online and get them involved and excited in online programs. Reaches out and engages online volunteers to win campaigns, build power and raise funds.
- Travels to organize and coordinate training events, strategy sessions, field meetings, visibility events, or other large events and conferences as needed.
- Communicates directly with members of the program’s online network, including writing and editing content. Responds to questions, forwards inquires to other staff or volunteers, and provides a high level of customer service for the online network.
- Participates in developing a strategy and implementing an integrated program presence on existing social networking sites as well as the campaign’s specific web-presence.
- Assists in production of the program’s online materials as needed.
- Performs administrative duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as directed.
Knowledge & Skills:
- 2-3 years of experience in online organizing or campaigning. Strong background in advocacy or political campaign organizing.
- Strong background in online to offline organizing required.
- Proficient computer skills and prior experience or aptitude with internet applications including email, constituent relationship management or other related data systems, social networking systems and web applications.
- Excellent writing and editing skills. Demonstrated skills in writing and production of online campaign materials. Good verbal communication skills – a high level of campaign staff collaboration and satisfaction is expected.
- Prior experience developing and launching creative web-based applications and activities to drive online activism.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to work effectively in an action-oriented office.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and respond quickly to breaking news while maintaining a high quality level of work.
- Ability to work independently, cooperatively and effectively with public, staff and volunteers.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit and is subject to the terms and conditions of the contract between Sierra Club and John Muir Local.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan. This is a category 5 exempt position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) organization. Sierra Club does not sponsor H1B visas.
The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
*If you are applying for one than one position with us, please attach your job-specific cover letters in the 'Attachments' section.