Job Title: Senior Online Organizing Specialist, Beyond Coal Campaign
Department: Digital Strategies
Location: Oakland, Washington, DC, Chicago or Austin
Reports To: Associate Director of Online Campaigns, Beyond Coal
Context: Crafts a Beyond Coal Campaign online organizing strategy to support the regional online organizing team in reaching new audiences that includes developing an active, online network of Club members and supporters engaged in the campaign. Advises and helps craft appropriate digital strategies specifically to reach out to and grow the Club’s engagement of frontline communities and communities of color. Works with appropriate campaign staff to use Club’s online data, web, mobile and email systems to drive the strategy and further advance the goals of the campaign and to make the Sierra Club a more inclusive place for everyone.
Scope: The Senior Online Organizing Specialist plans, strategizes and implements the online education, online engagement, and list growth experiments of the regional online organizing team. Develops projects and experiments under the direction of the Associate Director of Online campaigns to engage new audiences in our work in frontline communities and in other non-traditional audiences at the Sierra Club. Manages email and mobile segmentation experiments and creates segmentation best practices. Uses social media to test and learn the best methods to grow audiences in priority geographies key to winning victories for the campaign. Creates trainings and manages instruction for internal and external campaign constituencies on the best use of social media and other newly emerging online tools to help engage the Sierra Club online supporter base in the campaign. Coordinates editing, writing, and research to develop and test new ways to use online web pages, mobile strategies, and action alerts to engage more people on the campaign.
- Works with the regional online organizing team to devise and recommend a plan and strategy for the Beyond Coal Campaign in conjunction with the overall Sierra Club strategy for those campaigns.
- Integrates learnings from tests and experiments from other regions to help inform our online approach to our work in frontline communities including how we enter a community, digital mapping, and addressing the digital divide.
- Manages email and mobile segmentation and creates segmentation best practices. Uses Club integrated email/web/constituent relationship management system to develop segmented lists, track and report results, target emails, and link to appropriate web pages.
- Participates in developing a strategy and implementing an integrated Beyond Coal Campaign presence on existing social networking sites as well as the campaign’s specific web-presence. Creates culturally competent digital strategies to grow and engage frontline communities on email, social media, mobile, and on new emerging platforms and to grow audiences in those communities.
- Develops and manages the journey of new frontline community supporters on our mobile and email lists and creates recommendations and best practices based on that work to improve engagement online of frontline communities
- Develops and maintains through project work and digital experimentation best practices for regional online ads and online list growth and regional social media properties.
- Manages, develops, and gives instruction for external and internal constituencies on digital best practices, engagement of frontline communities, and distributed organizing for the regional online organizing team.
- Organizes, develops, and coordinates online email outreach, web-based advocacy, and online-to-offline integration of the members and supporters who are interested in the Beyond Coal Campaign for a specific state(s) to stay current and proficient on online organizing all practices. Travels to organize and coordinate training events, strategy sessions, field meetings, visibility events, or other large events and conferences.
- Communicates directly with members of the Beyond Coal Campaign and online network, including writing and editing content. Recommends and implements rapid response plans for the Beyond Coal Campaign. Responds to questions, forwards inquiries to other staff or volunteers, and provides a high level of customer service for the online network.
- Manages projects, vendors and consultant relationships as directed to meet the goals of the campaign.
- Develop new relationships or leverage existing relationships in the digital space to help further the goals of the campaign.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as directed.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Three to five years’ experience in online organizing or campaigning preferred.
- Strong background in advocacy or political campaign organizing.
- Digital experience working in/with frontline communities required.
- Fluent speaking, writing, and reading skill in English required. Spanish language fluency including speaking, writing, and reading preferred.
- Proficient computer skills and prior experience or aptitude with internet applications including email, constituent relationship management or other related data systems, social networking systems, mobile platforms and web applications.
- Excellent writing and editing skills. Demonstrated skills in writing and production of online campaign materials. Good verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to work effectively in an action-oriented office.
- Ability to work independently, cooperatively and effectively with public, staff and volunteers.
- Ability to train staff and volunteers effectively on email, social media, and mobile best practices.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit and is subject to the terms and conditions of the contract between Sierra Club and Progressive Workers Union or Sierra Employee Alliance, depending on location.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan. This is a category 4 exempt position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) organization. Sierra Club does not sponsor H1B visas.
The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
*If you are applying for more than one position with us, please attach your job-specific cover letters in the 'Attachments' section.