Job Title: National Online Organizer, Sierra Student Coalition
Department: Digital Strategies
Location: Oakland, CA; Washington, DC
Reports To: Manager, National Online Organizing
Context: Crafts and executes an online organizing strategy for regional projects, that includes developing an active, online network of Club members and supporters engaged in the campaign. Advises and helps craft appropriate digital strategies specifically to reach out to and grow the Club’s engagement of frontline communities and communities of color. Works with appropriate campaign staff to use Club’s online data, web, mobile and email systems to drive the strategy and further advance the goals of the campaign and to make the Sierra Club a more inclusive place for everyone.
Scope: The National Online Organizer plans, strategizes and implements the online education and mobilization efforts of specific campaign projects. Accesses Club database systems to assess results, build data files, and target online organizing strategies. Coordinates editing, writing, researching and developing online web pages, mobile strategies, and action alerts to support the campaign. Provides training and instruction on the best use of social media and other newly emerging online tools to help engage the Sierra Club online supporter base in the campaign.
- Works with others to devise and recommend a plan and strategy for the campaign and its online organizing work in specific regions of the country in conjunction with the overall Sierra Club strategy for those campaigns.
- Organizes, develops, and coordinates online email outreach, web-based advocacy, and online-to-offline integration of the members and supporters who are interested in the campaign.
- Recommends and implements rapid response plans for the campaign.
- Uses Club integrated email/web/constituent relationship management system to develop segmented lists, track and report results, target emails, and link to appropriate web pages.
- Travels to organize and coordinate training events, strategy sessions, field meetings, visibility events, or other large events and conferences.
- Communicates directly with members of the campaign and online network, including writing and editing content. Responds to questions, forwards inquiries to other staff or volunteers, and provides a high level of customer service for the online network.
- Creates culturally competent digital strategies to grow and engage frontline communities on email, social media, mobile, and on new emerging platforms.
- Develops new relationships or leverages existing relationships in the digital space to help further the goals of the campaign.
- Performs administrative duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as directed.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Two to three years’ experience in online organizing or campaigning.
- Strong background in advocacy or political campaign organizing.
- Fluent in speaking, writing, and reading skill English required. Spanish language fluency including speaking, writing, and reading preferred.
- Proficient computer skills and prior experience or aptitude with internet applications including email, constituent relationship management or other related data systems, social networking systems, mobile platforms and web applications.
- Excellent writing and editing skills. Demonstrated skills in writing and production of online campaign materials. Good verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to work effectively in an action-oriented office.
- Ability to work independently, cooperatively and effectively with public, staff and volunteers.
- Ability to train staff and volunteers effectively on email, social media, and mobile best practices.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit and is subject to the terms and conditions of the contract between Sierra Club and Progressive Workers Union or Sierra Employee Alliance, depending on location.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan. This is a category 5 exempt position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) organization. Sierra Club does not sponsor H1B visas.
The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
*If you are applying for more than one position with us, please attach your job-specific cover letters in the 'Attachments' section.