Job Title: Deputy Chapter Director
Chapter: North Carolina Chapter
Reports to: Chapter Director
Context: The Chapter Deputy Director manages chapter staff activities as delegated by the Chapter Director and serves as acting director in the absence of the Director. The Deputy Director, under the direction of the Director, works with chapter volunteers to develop and implement the major programs of the Chapter. Where delegated by the Chapter Director, the Assistant Deputy Director manages the staff and operations of one or more of the following areas: in addition to development, conservation and legislative program; development, volunteer development and member services, political program; budgeting and financial management, communications.
Scope: Carries out the policies, priorities and objectives of the Chapter for the assigned areas of chapter programs and operations. Responsible for managing staff and financial resources for the assigned areas, representing the Chapter to external partners and the public, and developing new programs.
Chapter Oversight (70%)
- Assists the Chapter Director, Executive Committee, and Chapter Committees to develop the Chapter's short and long term strategic, programmatic and financial goals and objectives.
- Designs and develops information systems to monitor the effectiveness of programs, as well as the status of the budget. Responsible for reporting outcomes to chapter leaders.
- Works with Chapter Director, Treasurer, and any support staff to ensure orderly functioning of Chapter financial and accounting systems.
- Coordinates efforts with the national headquarters staff and ensures that the chapter strategies are in compliance with national requirements.
- Manages Chapter staff in assigned operational or program areas. Writes and conducts performance appraisals and takes personnel actions as appropriate. Provides mentorship to junior staff. Ensures Chapter is in compliance with Sierra Club’s employment policies and practices.
- Assists the Chapter Chair or Conservation Chair in the planning and implementation of the core conservation efforts and programs, when this is an assigned program area.
- Works with the Chapter Director to identify the need for and to develop new programs, as assigned.
- Coordinate with national campaign staff and programs in the state.
- Coordinates and implements fundraising events and activities.
- Assists the Fundraising Committee in the development of annual fundraising goals and objectives.
- Develops and carries out solicitations plans. Identifies fundraising trends; develops and cultivates new funding sources.
- Recruits and trains volunteers to participate in Chapter fundraising programs and activities.
- Manages the fundraising database and monitors the flow of funds, including the acknowledgement of gifts.
- Monitors and prepares reports of fundraising progress.
Knowledge & Skills:
- B.A./B.S. degree in Environmental Studies, Political Science or a closely related field.
- 3 or more years’ experience in the environmental field, including experience in development, grassroots organizing, and/or non-profit management.
- Strong demonstrated written and oral communication skills as well as demonstrated public speaking ability.
- Excellent knowledge and background in specific issue areas of the environmental field related to assigned programs and campaigns.
- Prior experience and knowledge of the legislative process and lobbying a plus.
- Demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with volunteers.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop a positive rapport with the media.
- Ability to work effectively with coalitions.
- Strong analytical skills. Proficient computer skills.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan. This is a category 5 exempt position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) organization. Sierra Club does not sponsor H1B visas.
The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
*If you are applying for one than one position with us, please attach your job-specific cover letters in the 'Attachments' section.