Job Title: Associate Attorney
Department: Conservation – San Francisco
Reports To: Managing Attorney
Context: The Sierra Club is the nation's leader in grassroots environmental litigation.
We enforce environmental laws and target the most pressing environmental issues through strategic legal advocacy at the federal, state, and local levels nationwide.
Scope: As part of the national Sierra Club’s legal team, the associate attorney helps coordinate all aspects of the Club’s legal work. Under the supervision of senior and staff attorneys, the associate attorney evaluates proposed Sierra Club environmental litigation and prepares formal written recommendations for the Club’s decision makers; serves as a legal resource for Sierra Club chapters around the country; helps strategize and implement programmatic legal campaigns; and participates as counsel in select litigation matters aimed at advancing the national Club’s top priority campaigns.
Duration: 2-year position, beginning September 2018
- Evaluates proposed environmental litigation so that national volunteer and staff leadership can decide whether the Sierra Club should participate in a lawsuit.
- Oversees and administers ongoing Club litigation so that Club can maintain overview of its litigation docket; helps resolve problems that arise in individual lawsuits.
- Serves as a legal resource for local chapters and other volunteer entities.
- Assists litigating key Sierra Club lawsuits under the supervision and mentorship of senior and staff attorneys.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Law school graduate by September 2018 admitted to or willing to apply for admission to the California bar.
- 0–3 years of post-law school graduation experience.
- Excellent writing and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal and consensus‑building skills.
- A commitment to working collaboratively to advance equity, inclusion, and justice.
- Knowledge of environmental law and passion for the Sierra Club’s mission to enlist humanity to protect and restore the quality of the natural and human environment.
To Apply: The hiring committee will begin reviewing applications on September 30, 2017. The position will remain open until filled. Please attach a cover letter, resume, references, writing sample, and law school transcript to the completed online application. In your cover letter, please address how your background has prepared you to contribute to the Sierra Club’s mission, including its commitment to advancing equity, inclusion, and justice.
As a 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization, the Sierra Club currently is not a qualifying employer under the federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness program. Sierra Club does not sponsor H1B visas.
Sierra Club is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce.
Please visit sierraclub.org/equity to learn more about Sierra Club’s equity, inclusion, and justice work.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan. This is a category 5 exempt position.
The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
*If you are applying for more than one position with us, please attach your job-specific cover letters in the 'Attachments' section.