Build Your Career at WageWorks®
|Location:||San Mateo, CA|
|# of Openings:||1|
Check out the following fantastic career opportunity!
With direction from senior level accounting and finance leadership, this position manages the day-to-day activities of the organization’s general ledger function that includes maintenance and administration of the general accounting systems including upkeep of the general ledger, consolidation of financial records and submission of accurate and timely data for financial reporting purposes.
REPORTING STRUCTURE & WORK SETTING
This position performs work in a centralized, corporate environment and typically reports to the Assistant Controller or a senior finance or accounting leader.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & PRIMARY ACCOUNTABILITIES
NOTE: The essential duties and primary accountabilities below are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Incumbents may perform all or most of the primary accountabilities listed below. Specific tasks, responsibilities or competencies may be documented in the incumbent’s performance objectives as outlined by the incumbent’s immediate supervisor or manager.
1. Manages and coordinates day-to-day maintenance of the general accounting systems including research and journal entry of activity and the reconciliation to the general ledger.
2. Leads others and performs analysis and reconciliation of accounts, including bank statements. Researches and corrects account discrepancies as appropriate. Provides meaningful analytics together with accurate financial reports.
3. Coordinates with other departments and manages the consolidation of the organization’s financial records. Prepares monthly, quarterly and annual consolidated financial statements as appropriate and submits accurate and timely data for financial reporting purposes. This includes but is not limited to property and franchise taxes as well as other compliance related reports. Additionally, ability to assist with both internal and external audits.
4. Ensures compliance with all control objectives and corporate policies related to general accounting systems and activities. This includes ensuring that internal divisions, business units and departments adhere to and maintain Company standards proper accounting practices and controls, as well as maintaining and updating SOX documents to ensure compliance.
5. Assists senior accounting and finance leadership with the establishment, maintenance and continuing improvement of accounting processes and procedures, making recommendations for process improvement where appropriate. Additionally, documents processes and procedures as appropriate.
6. Initiates human resource planning, selection and resource allocation activities that support the general ledger team’s productivity and effectiveness. This includes responsibility for implementing and carrying out the personnel activities of the team such as hiring, training, evaluating, rewarding, motivating and taking corrective action as necessary.
7. Acts as a resource for team to resolve accounting issues as needed. This may entail coordinating or providing support for the review of batches to ensure accuracy and appropriate account coding, as well as providing guidance on accounting fundamentals.
8. Review and direct the work of staff, effectively manage resources to create career growth opportunities and backup coverage. Develop organizational and individual goals for staff, and provide support and guidance for the team’s professional growth.
9. Maintains a level of currency in accounting and compliance related issues by participating with and maintaining memberships with professional work groups; attending trainings, seminars, and other business-related conferences; and interfacing with peers.
MARGINAL DUTIES & ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS
1. Assists senior accounting leadership with special projects as required or assigned. This may entail conducting research of authoritative literature for proper treatment of accounting topics and recommending appropriate action.
2. Performs other duties as assigned or apparent.
NOTE: WageWorks leadership will strive to uphold the mission, vision, and values of the organization. They will serve as role models for staff and act in a people-centered and results oriented manner with a focus on customer service.
This position entails formal, direct supervisory responsibility for professional and clerical level accountants and clerks.
Matrixed supervisory responsibility includes the direction and follow-through for adherence to general ledger activities, initiatives, policies and processes.
ADDITIONAL PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS
WageWorks believes that our success is achieved by its People. Values describe how we work together to achieve our success. It is our employees that drive results through living our Company Values. Every employee at WageWorks is expected to uphold and demonstrate the six Company Values listed below as an additional component of the job description and as a standard of individual performance.
Customer-Centric: Our Customer comes first. We aim to serve our Clients and their employees, our brokers and partners, as well as our internal customers.
Caring: People are at the heart of our company. We care about people: our Clients, our Clients’ employees and their families, our partners, and local communities, and our fellow employees at WageWorks.
Passionate: We love what we do and are passionate about delivering Consumer-Directed Benefits that save people money and enrich their lives.
Accountable: We are dedicated to making our team and the company succeed, and we are open, honest, ethical and conscientious, as we deliver on our commitments.
Leading: Our actions inspire new ideas and drive change each and every day.
Respectful: We value the diversity of our people, treat them with dignity and respect, encourage their development and reward their performance.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
A thorough knowledge and understanding of finance and accounting as normally obtained through the completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting. A CPA designation is required. A Master’s of Business Administration is preferred.
WORK EXPERIENCE OR RELATED EXPERIENCE:
The ability to effectively manage, administer and maintain the organization’s general ledger function as described as normally obtained through at least five years accounting experience in a large publically held company or Big Four Firm.
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Excellent technical knowledge of all accounting functional areas is required with a strong understanding of GAAP. General knowledge of SEC and IRS reporting requirements is preferred. Incumbents must be proficient and skilled with math applications to perform the functions as described.
Incumbents should possess strong analysis skills and be able to make effective judgments and decisions on relative information.
Hands-on accounting system experience is preferred.
The ability to be proactive and self-directed, utilizing good time management, decision-making and organization skills is required. A strong orientation to details is also required.
Proven leadership, relationship management with a wide variety of partners, collaboration, and interpersonal skills are essential to perform the functions as described. The ability to foster cooperation with a wide variety of partners is required to perform the functions as described. A demonstrated ability to build strong relationships across functional areas is essential.
The ability to build credibility, trust, respect, and cooperation among team members is essential. The ability to motivate, develop, and lead team members to produce results and to improve upon operational effectiveness is required.
Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills are critical, including the ability to communicate related issues to senior management.
Incumbents must have proficient skills and abilities with a personal computer and have a solid knowledge, understanding and experience with Microsoft Office Suite, specifically with Excel and Word. Additionally, Great Plains Dynamics, or other accounting or business management software experience is preferred. WageWorks is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS & CONDITIONS
No travel is required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT CONDITIONS & DEMANDS
Work is generally performed in an office environment in which there is only minimal exposure to unpleasant and/or hazardous working conditions.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & DEMANDS
This position entails a high level of work performed at a computer terminal throughout the day as well as the regular use of a telephone or headset equipment. On a regular basis, incumbent frequently performs repetitive motions at a computer terminal and is subject to prolonged sitting. Occasionally, eye hand coordination is required to operate office equipment.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions as described.
Are you a returning applicant?
|Back to Search Results