Civil Engineer (Official Job Title: Technical Specialist III): This supervisory position supports the Division Manager, supervises engineering staff, and provides professional and technical work of Traffic Engineering projects, studies and other technical projects as assigned.
- Leads and manages the preparation and reporting of miscellaneous inquires and traffic studies including Sight Distance Investigations, Traffic Control Devices, Speed, Parking Prohibition, and No through Truck Traffic
- Represent Transportation at the Traffic Advisory Council (TAC) and the Community Traffic Safety Team monthly meetings
- Investigates customer concerns/inquiries; meets with citizens to define and resolve issues
- Interacts with the public and BCC to address complaints, concerns and questions as needed
- Leads and manages the review of construction plans of projects impacting traffic operations or traffic control devices referred by Land Development Services and Capital Projects
- Prepare and make presentations to the TAC and the BCC
- Perform final roadway field inspection for acceptance by public works for maintenance
Maintenance of Traffic (MOT)
- Design and review MOT plans for road projects referred by Land Development Services, Capital Projects and Utilities
- Design and review MOT for public events
- Design and review MOT for road closures
Management of Crash Study Program
- Procurement of crash data
- Manage the Accident Information Management System (AIMS) and support its users
- Provide crash reports to the public and prepare the annual crash report
- Support traffic signal timing system and operation
- Support traffic signal related capital improvement projects
- Maintain Traffic Operations GIS data on Intranet
- Coordinate integration between CarteGraph, Maximo and GIS
- Coordination with GIS to create and maintain Traffic Engineering related GIS layers for Signs & Signals
- American with Disabilities Act (ADA) Design and field reviews
Minimum Qualifications: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Civil Engineering and six (6) years of professional engineering experience. Registration as a Professional Engineer by the State of Florida or the ability to obtain the same in the State of Florida within six (6) months of the date of employment. Note: A Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Civil Engineering may substitute for one year of the required experience. A valid Driver’s License is required.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience in pavement management, road inspection, and traffic management. Advanced Maintenance of Traffic (MOT) certification. Knowledge of Asset management software.
Job Based Competencies: Microsoft Office Suite; MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, and Outlook. Familiarity with Cartegraph and/or Maximo is desired.
This position has been deemed essential during manmade and natural emergencies. Must be available to work in the Emergency Operation Center (EOC) before and during an emergency activation.
Physical Demands: Must occasionally lift/move up to 25 pounds.
Sarasota County Government is committed to wellness and successful applicants must be tobacco free for twelve months preceding date of application.
Drug Free Work Environment EOE/AA/ADA