Landscape Worker (Official Job Title: Horticultural Technician): Involves daily work activities of landscape maintenance personnel and operation of landscape equipment to maintain vegetation on streets and highways throughout Sarasota County as directed by the Operational Manager.
Subject to Passing Substance Screening
This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug-screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five years.
- Safely operate, fuel and perform basic maintenance functions on the following types of equipment: gas-powered string trimmers, stick edgers, pole saws, backpack blowers, commercial grade pick-up trucks, 4 - wheel utility carts and other miscellaneous, small hand-operated landscape maintenance tools and perform small-engine repairs.
- Utilizing the above equipment, but not limited to hand weeding, mulching, digging, turf trimming, tree trimming, hand collection and disposal of litter, removal and installation of plant materials and trees and driving on roads and vegetated maintenance areas. Work normally occurs on streets and highways with active automobile traffic which will require the implementation of appropriate maintenance of traffic-safety standards and wearing of safety equipment.
Minimum Qualifications: A High School Diploma or equivalent and one year of experience performing landscaping, mowing or landscape grounds maintenance. Possession of a valid Florida Driver's License.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic mechanical skills, job-safety knowledge.
- Excellent client/customer service relations.
- Basic software applications, including, but not limited to, email communications, Internet/Intranet searches and operations.
Work Hours: Monday - Saturday, 6:30 am. - 5:00 pm. ** Occasional work on Saturdays will be required due to weather-related events.
Physical Demands: These positions must frequently lift and/or move more than 50 pounds. **Loading of mowing landscape maintenance equipment on and off trailers 3-4 times per day.
Sarasota County Government is committed to wellness and successful applicants must be tobacco free for twelve months preceding date of application.
Drug Free Work Environment EOE/AA/ADA