Skilled Trades Worker I - (Stormwater) Waste Water: Advanced skilled work in the maintenance, construction and repair of utility and stormwater mains, equipment and facilities.
Subject to Passing Substance Screening
This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five years.
- Performs locates, installation, maintenance and repair, to the enclosed and open Stormwater drainage conveyance system and their appurtenances.
- Performs roadway and right-of-way restoration relating to completed utility maintenance and repairs.
- Operates specialized equipment, such as vacuum trucks, sewer flushing devices, rodding equipment, jetting equipment, television evaluation equipment, open-channel flow meters and other related equipment used in wastewater and storm water collection system maintenance, including relief of storm and sanitary sewer stoppages, cleaning of lines, maintenance of manholes, catch basins (structures), and investigation of inflow and infiltration.
- Operates specialized equipment, such as backhoes, trenchers, tapping machines, boring machines and other related equipment required to install, maintain and repair utility system mains, services and their appurtenances, including tapping of water mains and installing new water services.
- Responds to customer complaints relating to the utility and storm water systems, including water leaks, water quality concerns, sewer stoppages, Stormwater backups and odors.
- Maintains equipment and vehicles as assigned.
- Completes and submits work orders relating to all work performed in a professional and timely fashion.
- Responds to emergency situations as required.
Minimum Qualifications: A High School Diploma or its equivalent and two (2) years of experience in the construction, maintenance and repair of utility water distribution, stormwater conveyance systems and wastewater collection systems. Must acquire Class "B” Commercial Driver's License or higher CDL with tanker endorsement within six (6) months from date of hire.
Job Based Competencies:
- Knowledge of current technology in water distribution, wastewater collections and stormwater conveyance systems maintenance practices.
- Knowledge and safe operation of specialized tools and equipment used in potable, reuse, wastewater and stormwater conveyance systems maintenance and repair.
- Operation of backhoe, excavators, trencher, personal computers and mechanical tools used in utilities and the stormwater maintenance industry.
- The ability to understand and follow oral/written instructions.
- Experience in the use of TV inspection, smoke testing and collection system flow monitoring equipment.
**Certifications for Safety Training : Hazcom; Confined Space; Hearing Protection; Bloodborne Pathogens; Workplace Violence; Lockout/Tagout, Fire Extinguisher; Asbestos; Personal Protective Equipment; Trenching Safety, Backhoe Operations, Chainsaw Safety and Forklifts.
Work Schedule: 7:00 am. to 3:3 0pm. Monday through Friday. On-Call will be required. This position has been deemed department essential during manmade and natural emergencies and incumbent must be available to respond to emergency situations including participations in Tactical Search and Rescue (TSAR) teams in declared emergencies.
Physical Demands: Must occasionally lift and/or move more than 50 pounds and frequently lifts and/or moves up to 50 pounds.
Sarasota County Government is committed to wellness and successful applicants must be tobacco free for twelve months preceding date of application.
Drug Free Work Environment EOE/AA/ADA