Planning & Zoning Senior Manager (Official Job Title: Senior Manager): This is a senior leadership role managing and overseeing the Planning and Zoning Division, which includes functions relating to planning, neighborhood services, zoning, and land development. The Division is also responsible for facilitating the County’s Development Review Committee (DRC) and associated review and coordination processes. This work includes a high degree of public involvement and interaction with the service unit managers and team members. This position reports to the Director of the Planning and Department Services Department.
Subject to Passing Substance Screening
This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug-screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five years.
- Oversees four (4) areas within the Planning and Zoning Division consisting of planning (both long range and current planning), neighborhood services, zoning, and land development. This includes a broad range of duties and responsibilities relating to implementation of the County’s Comprehensive Plan, land use planning, neighborhood planning, and administration of the Zoning Regulations and Land Development Regulations. Also oversees the Development Review Committee (DRC) and the associated development review processes, which includes coordination with other technical reviewers County-wide.
- Represents the Planning and Zoning Division in public hearings, presentations and meetings with the Sarasota County Commission, Planning Commission, County Attorney and other County Departments. Coordinates with other departments, municipalities, adjacent county governments and other jurisdictions in the development of policy recommendations related to planning, neighborhood services, zoning, and land development. Advises and assists other regional and state agencies, citizen groups, property owners, organizations, attorneys and other interested parties with respect to strategic planning initiatives and projects.
- Promotes effective and trustworthy working relationships by developing and empowering employees, promoting and supporting collaboration, excellence, efficiency, innovation, openness and team work among staff. Continually re-evaluates, rethinks, and questions processes, procedures, budgets, business plans, staffing plans, performance measures and methods that affect the efficiency, quality and cost of services. Prepares timely performance evaluations of the service unit managers and participates on interview panels.
- Assists and supports the Director with overall leadership, coordination, management and administration of the Planning and Development Services Department and associated functions. Responsible for keeping the Director informed of operational decisions/issues, providing guidance, supervision, coaching and leadership to unit managers. Represents the Director and County at public/community meetings; advocates the County’s mission, vision and values for the benefit of the community. Assists with the review of presentations to the Sarasota County Commission and the public.
- Manages proactive assessments of fraud awareness, prevention, detection and risk mitigation activities in area of responsibility; oversees financial, compliance, operational and performance audits; reviews audit findings and ensures appropriate controls are established and implemented.
Minimum Qualifications: A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in planning, architecture, engineering, building construction, public administration, business administration, or related field and eight (8) years of progressively responsible professional experience. - OR - A Master's Degree with six (6) or more years of related experience. At least four (4) years supervisory experience required. Advanced professional certification highly desirable.
Preferred Qualifications: Advance professional certification is highly preferred. Familiarity with the overall functions of each service unit is highly preferred. Project Management and FEMA training is preferred. Previous work as a Manager III is preferred.
Job Competencies: Must have knowledge of principles and practices of planning, neighborhood services, zoning, land development, environmental permitting, and related federal, state, and local laws. Must possess skills relating to the following: leadership, project management, facilitation, budget planning and preparation, business planning, staffing planning, and performance measures. Must possess exceptional interpersonal skills, polished public speaking skills, advanced written and oral communications skills. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office software, and become proficient in County used software such as LIMS, SharePoint, ArcGIS, eGenda, KRONOS, and other software which the County may utilize.
Sarasota County Government is committed to wellness and successful applicants must be tobacco free for twelve months preceding date of application.
Drug Free Work Environment EOE/AA/ADA