Veterans Services Advocate (Working Title: Service Officer): This work includes providing expert guidance and advocacy to veterans filing claims for VA benefits.
- Specialized work assisting veterans and their dependents in claiming authorized benefits and entitlements. May lead and guide clerical staff in coordinating office operations.
- Responsible for interviewing and counseling veterans and their dependents and processing claims, appeals, and questionnaires involving compensation, pension, hospitalization, insurance, outpatient treatment, educational assistance, loans, rehabilitation and other entitlements. Claims involving complex legal and medical issues are expertly completed and filed with the Veterans Administration. Employee acts as the claimant’s advocate and guides the claimant through the legal aspects in each stage of the claim process. Employee participates in briefings concerning Veterans Benefits to a variety of clients with diverse backgrounds.
- Maintains a constant liaison with the VA, FDVA, local civic and veterans organizations and other community organizations.
- Serves as back-up for unit reception duties.
Preferred Qualifications: Prefer experience directly related to Veteran's benefits eligibility.
Must be a veteran (or the surviving spouse of any such veteran) and meet the requirements in Title 38, U.S. Code and Florida Statute 292.11 applicable to Florida County Veteran Service Officers plus:
- Associate's Degree and two (2) years of experience involving client interviewing, counseling or related field. Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered or Honorable retirement from a branch of the Armed Forces after 20 years of service - OR - The department may also consider administrative experience where the individual has obtained and demonstrated the knowledge, skills and abilities needed for the position.
Job Based Competencies:
- PC skills including Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Outlook. Skill with internet searches
- Good customer service including courtesy, sensitivity, tact, rapport, and discretion
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Commands general knowledge of medical terminology and the etiology of chronic diseases and medical conditions
Physical Demands: Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Sarasota County Government is committed to wellness and successful applicants must be tobacco free for twelve months preceding date of application.
Drug Free Work Environment AA/EOE/ADA