Equipment Operator III: Responsible for the operation of heavy equipment used in the advanced skilled work in the operation, maintenance, repair, and construction of water and sewer utilities and storm water systems, equipment, and facilities.
Subject to Passing Substance Screening
This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five years.
Depending on the needs of the organization and the unit assigned to, this position may be required to perform tasks in the following skilled areas:
- Operates and transports specialized equipment, such as vacuum trucks, sewer-flushing devices, rodding equipment, jetting equipment, television evaluation equipment, open-channel flow meters and other related equipment used in wastewater and storm water collection system maintenance, including relief of storm and sanitary sewer stoppages, cleaning of lines, maintenance of manholes, catch basins (structures), and investigation of inflow and infiltration.
- Operates specialized equipment, such as rubber tire backhoe, excavators, end loaders, arm mower, directional drilling equipment, trenchers, tapping machines, boring machines and other related equipment required to install, maintain and repair utility system mains, services and their appurtenances, including tapping of water and sewer mains and installing new water and sewer services.
- Performing complete utility locates, installation, maintenance and repair, flow testing, and disinfection to the utility’s potable and reclaimed water distribution systems, wastewater collection systems and service laterals, and storm water conveyance system and their appurtenances.
- Perform complete underground utility locates, installation, and maintenance and repairs to potable and reclaimed water meters and services, backflow prevention devices, meter boxes and related appurtenances, including flow testing of water meters and certification of backflow prevention devices.
- Performs roadway and right-of-way restoration relating to completed utility maintenance and repairs.
- Responds to customer complaints relating to the water and sewer utility and storm water systems, including water leaks, water quality concerns, sewer stoppages, storm water backups and odors.
- Maintains equipment and vehicles as assigned.
- Completes, submits work orders, and utilizes electronic equipment, software and communication technologies relating to all work performed in a professional and timely fashion.
- Responds to emergencies as required.
- Performing complete utility locates, installation, maintenance and repair, flow testing and disinfection to the utility's potable and reclaimed water distribution systems, wastewater collection systems and service laterals and storm water conveyance system and their appurtenances. In addition, keeping records, ensuring compliance with direction from the Lead Worker and or Immediate Supervisor or Manager performed in a professional and timely fashion.
Minimum Qualifications: A High School Diploma or its equivalent and two (2) years of experience with operating heavy equipment with operations, maintenance, repair, and construction of water distribution, wastewater collection, and storm water conveyance systems. **Certifications for Safety Training: Asbestos Cement Piping (Class-II), Blood Borne Pathogens, Chainsaw Safety, Competent Person-OSHA Standard, Confined Space Entry, Fire Extinguisher, Forklift Safety, Hazcom, Hearing Protection, Heavy Equipment Safety, Lock-out/Tag-out, Maintenance of Traffic-Intermediate, Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS), Maximo Basics, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), Trenching and Excavation Safety-OSHA Standard, Wastewater Collection System Cleaning & Maintenance, Wastewater Spill Sample Collection and Workplace Violence. Possession of a valid State of Florida Commercial Driver License Class “A” with Tanker “N” endorsement and maintain.
Preferred Qualifications: Florida Department Environmental Protection (FDEP): Water Distribution System - Level 3, Drinking Water Treatment - Class C and/or Wastewater Treatment - Class C Certification(s).
Job Based Competencies: Knowledge of current technology in water distribution, wastewater collections, and storm water conveyance systems maintenance practices. Knowledge and safe operation of specialized tools and equipment used in potable, reuse, wastewater, and storm water conveyance systems maintenance and repair. Experienced with the operating rubber tire backhoe, all excavators,end loaders, long arm mower, directional drilling equipment, trencher, personal computers and mechanical tools used in utilities and the storm water maintenance industry. The ability to understand and follow oral/written instructions. Experience in the use of TV inspection, smoke testing and collection system flow monitoring equipment.
Work Schedule: 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. On Call Required.
Physical Demands: Must regularly lift/move 25 pounds, frequently lift/move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally move/lift over 50 pounds. A dolly/cart or team member is available to help.
Sarasota County Government is committed to wellness and successful applicants must be tobacco free for twelve months preceding date of application.
Drug Free Work Environment EOE/AA/ADA