Building Plans Examiner I : This is technical work examining plans and specifications of building construction and life safety systems for compliance with adopted and approved building codes and regulations. Regulations include National, state and local specifications and require extensive knowledge and background of all types of building and safety codes. This position has a high level of customer interaction and will build and foster a positive working relationships and maintain an excellent customer service standard when interfacing with both internal and external customers.
Subject to Passing Substance Screening
This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five years.
- Provides a skilled review of residential, commercial and miscellaneous construction for the purpose of ensuring compliance with established building codes and regulations. Provides approval and/or denial of various permits and ensures the accurate recording of all permits issued. Consults all applicable professional and official manuals, references and code books in researching plans compliance, i.e., all construction disciplines, safety codes, fire resistance, hurricane resistance, energy codes, zoning regulations, state statutes, etc.
- Contacts contractors, developers, design professionals or property owners for the purpose of providing recommendations for corrections/modifications prior to issuance of applicable permitting.
- Provides information to contractors, developers, engineers, architects, owners and the general public concerning building practices, building codes and permitting requirements. Will provide and maintain an excellent customer service standard in answering questions from the public pertaining to building issues, codes and ordinances and interface positively with peers, co-workers and other customers across the enterprise.
- Performs reports and records maintenance duties (i.e.: applications, rejection reports, projects completed, production reports and case studies). Determines inspections required in order bringing about compliance and for permit issuance.
- Acts in assigned capacity in the event of any County declared emergency.
Minimum Qualifications: A High School Diploma or its equivalent. Five (5) years of experience in applicable construction trade or related field inspection or plans review. Bachelor's Degree or courses from an accredited college or university in Civil Engineering, Architecture, Fire Administration, Building Construction/Inspection, or related field may substitute on a year-for-year basis for the required experience with at least one year of field construction. (30 college credits is considered equivalent to one year of experience). Must have or the ability to obtain, within 120 days of hire, a provisional license as a Building Plans Examiner and must possess or be able to obtain a Standard Building Plans Examiner license prior to the expiration of the Provisional License (within 1 year of issuance of Provisional License). Valid Florida Driver’s License is required.
Preferred Qualifications: Prefer multiple Plans Examiner licenses with the State of Florida DBPR either Standard or Provisional Plans Examiners licenses as follows Building, Plumbing, Electrical and/or Mechanical Plans Examiner.
Job Competencies: Must have knowledge of local building codes and ordinances, applicable state laws & statutes and the various sources by which to access such. Must have considerable knowledge of building construction principles & techniques. Skilled in both written & oral communication for effective expression & clarity. Must be skilled in reading & interpretation of site plans, technical reports, blueprints, surveys and various other forms of property/projected documentation. Must have solid computer skills using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) software and must become proficient in other software which the County may utilize such as KRONOS and LIMS. Must be able to understand, interpret and implement applicable rules, regulations, codes, policies and procedures. Must have excellent customer service and positive interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with internal and external customers.
Physical Demands: Must occasionally lift/move up to 25 pounds.
Sarasota County Government is committed to wellness and successful applicants must be tobacco free for twelve months preceding date of application.
Drug Free Work Environment EOE/AA/ADA