Bus Operator (Full-Time): This is work in the operation of large commercial transporting passengers over various routes. Drivers hired for these positions will have a two-month training period during which time they are scheduled for 40 hours per week.
- Safely operates bus and transports passengers.
- Collects and accounts for fares, gives transfers and provides information and directions to passengers.
- Controls access to vehicle and denies entry to persons presenting a danger to others or who will not provide an acceptable transfer or fare payment.
- Provides effective passenger relations while maintaining a safe and orderly vehicle.
- Reports accidents, maintains records.
- Inspects bus and ensures vehicle is in safe and proper mechanical condition.
- Operates radio to coordinate with other operators, report problems and delays.
Minimum Qualifications: A High School Diploma or its equivalent and possession of a valid Florida Driver License. All persons appointed to a position in this class must obtain a valid Florida Commercial Driver License (CDL), Class "B" with passenger and air-brake endorsement within six (6) weeks of employment and must maintain such a license and endorsement in order to remain employed in this class. Applicants will be required to take an on-line pre-test.
Special Note: This position works where children regularly congregate and in accordance with Florida Statues applicants must pass criminal sexual predator and sexual offender background check. Successful applicants will also be subject to local/state and FBI background checks (including fingerprinting).
This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five years.
Job Based Competencies:
- Knowledge of local streets, bus routes and landmarks.
- Knowledge of traffic and highway safety rules and regulations, and other precautions necessary to prevent accidents.
- Knowledge of the mechanical components of large buses.
- Ability to operate buses safely on schedule.
- Ability to deal effectively with the public and handle medical, behavioral or situational problems.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to record data.
- Skill in handling disturbed, elderly and handicapped passengers.
- Skill in applying defensive driving techniques.
Work Schedule: Must be able to work flexible hours/days. Hours of service can be any combination of 4:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. Monday through Saturday with some Sunday work. Punctuality and flexibility is required.
Physical Demands: May regularly lift/move up 50 pounds.
Sarasota County Government is committed to wellness and successful applicants must be tobacco free for twelve months preceding date of application.
Drug Free Work Environment EOE/AA/ADA