MDRC is seeking a Research Assistant to work in the Center for Applied Behavioral Science (CABS). MDRC is a nonprofit, nonpartisan education and social policy research organization dedicated to learning what works to improve programs and policies that affect low-income populations. CABS combines MDRC’s policy and evaluation expertise with insights from behavioral science. Since launching the first major project to apply a behavioral research lens to human services programs that serve low-income families in the United States, CABS has expanded and developed numerous projects in child support, child welfare, welfare-to-work, workforce development, K-12 education, and higher education.
- Assist with research, development, and implementation of changes to social service and education programs.
- Organize and attend site visits to conduct interviews with staff and program participants.
- Perform literature reviews.
- Prepare tables and graphs based on data analyses.
- Coordinate reports, proposals, and papers.
- Assist with writing and editing memos and reports.
- Assist with any other project activities as needed, including scheduling meetings and note-taking.
- BA or BS in psychology, economics, sociology, public policy, or a related social science field.
- Demonstrated interest in behavioral science and social policy.
- Basic understanding of research methods, including experience with statistical methods.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work with others.
- Strong writing and oral communication.
- Demonstrated knowledge of behavioral science (including prior courses, projects, or opportunities focused on the application of behavioral economics, social psychology, or similar discipline).
- Previous experience working on a research project or as a research assistant.
- Experience in a design discipline (e.g., human-centered design, graphic design).
Timing: Applications should be submitted by April 5th, 2020. All materials will be reviewed after the application deadline.
The position will be based in MDRC's New York office. Some on-the-job training is provided.
When applying, please include a writing sample along with your resume and cover letter.
MDRC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. MDRC does not discriminate, and all qualified applications will receive consideration without regard to race; color; national origin; religion; creed; sex or gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression); sexual orientation; citizenship status; pregnancy; disability; age; military or veteran status; marital or partnership status; genetic information, genetic predisposition, or carrier status; prior unemployment status; consumer credit history; status as a victim of domestic violence, sex offenses, or stalking; or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Legal work authorization is required.