Sr. Big Data Architect
At National Life Group, every day is a chance to make an impact, change something, do it better. Every day we get up, invent, adapt, improvise, find new ways to collaborate, and do the unexpected. We’re creators, makers and doers.
We’ve been doing this for nearly 170 years. With an unmatched history and tradition of creating great products, relationships and experiences, we’ve been focused on creating a better future for our customers and employees since the beginning. Come be a part of shaping the future together with us.”
This Sr. Big Data Architect role will partner with stakeholders from across the organization and maintain an enterprise data strategy and information architecture supporting business objectives. Effective communications, a positive attitude, and a proven track record of serving in a senior technical data leadership role are key qualifications.
As a member of the Enterprise Architecture Team you will report to the Head of Architecture and contribute to our growing library of enterprise development standards, patterns, and strategic technology roadmaps. We’re looking for an inquisitive individual with a passion for continuous improvement, drive to follow-through, and gravitas to engage and challenge at all levels of the organization.
Data Architecture, Principles, & Governance
- Provide data architectural solutions supporting our Enterprise Data Strategy.
- Develop, maintain and evangelize data architecture guiding principles, policies, best practices, reference architecture and standards.
- Provide oversight and guidance to solution delivery teams.
- Play a lead technical role in selecting and implementing technologies supporting MDM, data discovery, data virtualization, data governance, data quality, analytics and BI tools, and champion related process changes.
Enterprise Modeling & Governance
- Collaborate with business stakeholders to mature our Enterprise Model and provide technical governance of all changes.
- Oversee introduction of new data and recommend how it should be modelled, where it should be mastered and who has responsibility for its quality.
- Provide Master Data Management architectural solutions supporting our broader Enterprise Architecture and Data Strategies.
- Identify opportunities for data management innovation and drive continuous improvement.
Analytics & Reporting
- Collaborate with business stakeholders to establish an Analytics and Reporting capability roadmap.
- Evaluate innovative new technologies, their potential business value, advocate for adoption, and support a deliberate, methodical implementations.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred; Computer Science or Data Management preferred or relevant work experience with an emphasis on data and databases.
- 10+ years of Data Modeling, Analytics, and Data Architecture experience with at least 5 years in a hands-on role.
- Should have a broad understanding and have deep experience with distributed data integration solutions, analytics applications, data processing and storage platforms in a highly scalable environment.
- Domain knowledge of the Insurance Industry (preferably L&A) as well as the technologies and solutions relevant to this industry is desired.
- Demonstrated ability to lead in a highly matrixed, heavily outsourced organization through a combination of influence, partnership, and authority.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills is required
- Open-minded with proven ability to work collaboratively with others in team environment and maintain trusted relationships with business and technology leaders.
- Advanced knowledge of data modeling, data management, data integration and database development technologies and processes.
- Advanced knowledge of cloud-based data strategies, NoSQL, SQL, Data Warehouse, ETL, Big Data, Business Intelligence and Analytics tools.
- Ability to translate complex technical terminology, concepts and issues in terms understandable to technical and non-technical management and staff.
- Strong working knowledge of application development processes and modern cloud-native architectures.
- Mandatory Skills: ETL (Talend, SSIS), MDM, Azure Data Lake, Databricks, NoSQL (MongoDB), Governance (Collibra, Allteryx Connect).
- Desired Skills: Mainframe Integration, Agile (Scrum), Cloud (Azure, AWS), GraphDB (Neo4j), Analytics (Allteryx), CI/CD (Jenkins, GitHub, Sonar), and Java/Camel.
National Life Group® is a trade name of National Life Insurance Company, Montpelier VT, Life Insurance Company of the Southwest (LSW), Addison TX, and their affiliates. Each company of National Life Group is solely responsible for its own financial condition and contractual obligations. LSW is not an authorized insurer in New York and does not conduct insurance business in New York