Job Title: Member Care Representative
Reports To: Associate Director, Member Care
Context: The Member Care unit serves as the front line of the Sierra Club by interacting with Members and Donors who have questions regarding their benefits or records. The Representative responds to requests from Members, Volunteer Leadership and other staff entities for information and services regarding all Sierra Club programs, researching issues which bear on the Membership records, and updating organizational files.
Scope: The Representative exchanges information and coordinates activities with the offices of Advancement, Finance, Information Technology, Digital Strategies, Sierra Club Foundation, Outings, Sierra Magazine and Conservation as well as with other Sierra Club staff to resolve member and donor information entry problems and to assure appropriate delivery of services for the member. The representative handles correspondence and telephone inquiries, answers questions around membership and donations, researches membership issues and updates member records. Additionally, the Member Care Rep will handle any customer service inquiries or issues with Adopt A Wild Animal, Online Store, Facebook, and Addup. The Member Care Rep will try to minimize member cancellation (regular or monthly donors) as well as work on cross-sell opportunities (i.e. highlight AWA program during the holiday season, etc.).
- Researches and resolves inquiries from members, Club staff and volunteer leaders regarding membership or donor records.
- Responds to a large volume of varied correspondence (by mail and email) from members, donors, the general public and/or volunteer leaders concerning member record issues/problems; identifies appropriate departments and/ individuals within the organization to respond to requests which fall outside the scope of Member Care.
- Coordinates and integrates the information on individual donor and member records to assure that all Club systems have current information and that specific program applications are applied to the individual records.
- Add and update member records in an effort to maintain and clean up member information across databases.
- Enters, updates, modifies (corrects and cancels) membership and donor records, including preparation of refund requests, processing orders, updating addresses, coding records, etc.
- Handle and respond to email inquiries; make changes to email preferences using the Salesforce database.
- Monitors the flow of work to identify unusual trends or possible problems occurring in the communication with membership.
- Actively participate in Voice of Member Initiative; share positive and negative trends from Sierra Club members and Champions and partners with Associate Director, Member Care and Deputy Chief Advancement Officer. Share VOM trends and experiences in weekly Member Care meeting
- Works with team to maximize member retention/minimize cancels and to generate revenue through ‘soft’ cross-asks with members on phone or via email
- Provides fulfillment services on a project basis and for development programs including the processing of returned premiums/products.
- Maintains office records including routing, filing and photocopying or correspondence.
- Researches and prepares special projects and reports, using various word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Acts as receptionist, greeting and directing visitors to the national headquarters office. Accepts incoming parcels and notifies staff. Uses the AgilQuest Reservation System to schedule interns and guests, as well as locate staff..
- Performs miscellaneous duties as required.
Periodic overtime is required during certain periods of the year or month. Overtime may be required on a seasonal basis as a result of high volumes of membership and donation activity; these periods generally occur at the end of the federal tax year (December – January). Overtime requirements during these specific periods would not normally exceed 10 hours per week for up to five consecutive weeks.
Knowledge & Skills:
- 2 years office experience including record keeping, data entry, Salesforce and PC experience with word processing and/or spreadsheet applications.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a collaborating team to identify and solve problems.
- Fluency in Spanish and English preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, set priorities, and resolve routine business problems in a customer service setting.
- Demonstrated ability to manage large volumes of diverse and detailed information.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit and is subject to the terms and conditions of the contract between the Sierra Club and Sierra Employee Alliance.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan. This is a category 8 non- exempt position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) organization. Sierra Club does not sponsor H1B visas.
The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
*If you are applying for more than one position with us, please attach your job-specific cover letters in the 'Attachments' section.