This position is a Medical Assistant for a patient-centered, primary care outpatient clinic. Will work in a team to serve diverse, homeless, and underserved populations of all ages. Work with a team to support patient care including clinical, administrative, mobile clinic, and general duties within the scope of the Medical Assistant practice. May be scheduled and expected to report to work at the main clinic or various outreach sites.
This position is 40 hours a week with full medical and dental benefits and 27 paid days off in the first year. Base pay range is $14.90-$16.25/hr. This position is open until filled.
- Obtain and document patient history, vital signs, and other established screening procedures.
- Assist with examinations, procedures, and treatments.
- Prepare and administer medications, injections and immunizations.
- Maintain medication and immunizations records.
- Recognize and respond to emergencies.
- Apply principles of aseptic technique and infection control.
- Screen and follow up patient test results.
- Collect and process specimens.
- Perform CLIA waived tests (HgbA1C, HIV, Hgb, UA, Strep).
- Perform procedures within the Medical Assistant scope (EKG, Spiro, Ear Lavage).
- Work as part of Mobile Medical Outreach.
- Performs basic administrative medical assisting functions.
- Process prescription assistance applications and track reordering.
- Refer patient for X-Rays and other imaging.
- Facilitate relationships between providers and referral coordinators to assure image scheduling and referrals to other agencies and medical specialists.
- Inventory and ordering responsibilities as assigned by RN Clinical Supervisor.
- Assist in computer training or rotating medical residents and students.
- Assist in training of medical assistants and volunteer clinical assistants.
- Treat all patients with compassion and empathy.
- Recognize and respect cultural diversity.
- Adapt communications to a patient’s ability to understand.
- Explain methods of health and disease prevention.
- Comply with established risk management and safety procedures including all required trainings.
- Must have completed an accredited Medical Assisting program.
- Prior experience working as a Medical Assistant in a clinic setting required (externships qualify).
- Prior experience using an Electronic Health Record is preferred.
- Must have or be able to obtain AAMA or CCMA certification within 3 months of hire.
- Must have valid Driver License and clean driving record, DMV records will be checked.
- Willing and able to be certified to drive a 40 ft mobile medical clinic required. Review of mobile clinic will be part of the working interview.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of infection control principles and practices.
- Knowledge of HIPAA laws and patient rights.
- Able to handle multiple tasks and crisis situations.
- Able to work with people from diverse ethnic, cultural, socioeconomic and sexual preference backgrounds.
- Be able to demonstrate MA proficiencies successfully at 90-day review.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.