Youth Specialists assist in facilitating the day to day services offered in the Day Services Program and the Housing Program. Support for Day Program and Housing Program services can include assisting with youth skill building activities including healthy recreation and art activities, food preparation, and helping ensure a safe and respectful program spaces. Youth Specialists are also responsible utilizing a harm reduction and trauma-informed approach and responding to crises. The long-term goal of the Day Program and Housing Program is to help youth build the skills needed for self-sufficiency and to be successful in their plan to exit street life.
This position is on-call and pay is $13.38/hr. The application deadline is 03/24/2017.
- Build positive relationships with youth through role modeling and mentoring.
- Help direct new or returning youth to navigate the screening and assessment process.
- Educate youth about the Homeless Youth Continuum and how to access available services and resources. Engage youth in Outside In program offerings.
- Be available on site to residents in Transitional Housing Program during shifts.
- Provide individualized support to youth. Meet with youth as needed to monitor plans to accomplish goals and meet program expectations. Respond to youth crises as needed.
- Coordinate with agency and community resources to remove barriers and enhance youth’s opportunities for success.
- Support the smooth function of the Food Program in the Day Program by participating food preparation of meals as needed.
- Assure material and operational support of the Day and Housing Programs. This can include assisting with cleaning/room turnover in the Housing Program and assisting with food preparation/serving of meals in the Day Program as needed.
- Establish and facilitate effective communication with staff. This includes serving as a conduit of information for teammates and between and among program staff and supervisors.
- Maintain accurate and timely documentation of all services and interventions in the appropriate data and tracking systems.
- Two years relevant experience working with at- risk youth, homeless youth and/or in a drop-in, shelter, or transitional housing program.
- BA/BS in related field preferred.
- Strong communication skills.
- Basic computer skills.
- Maintain professional boundaries and performance at all times.