Case Managers work as part of a multi-disciplinary service team with culturally diverse transition-age youth (primarily age 16-25) who have experienced homelessness. This Case Manager position utilizes a strengths-based approach to support 15-20 youth in a transitional housing program to build relationship with youth and help them build the skills, healthy supports, and needed resources that allow them to increase health, achieve personal goals, and ultimately connect with and stabilize in the community. For youth in Transitional Housing, successful transitions often include obtaining a stable income and locating a safe, affordable, community living situation.
- Build positive relationships with youth through role modeling, mentoring and meeting individually with youth on a regular basis.
- Provide initial and ongoing assessments of youth and facilitate the development of a service plans with each participant.
- Educate youth about available resources and provide support to access and navigate the resources they need.
- Participate in crisis planning and crisis intervention.
- Support youth seeking to apply for and be successful in the Transitional Housing Program.
- Involve and empower youth participants in generating community, community norms, and sense of ownership within activities and programs.
- Assist youth clients in individual and group life skill building through activities and support accessing community resources.
- Access flexible funding to assist in meeting needs and removing barriers to success.
- Monitor youth participation in other services (employment, education, basic needs and activity services, and shelter) and progress on action steps including participation in homeless youth resources.
- Coordinate with Benefits Enrollment Specialists and SNAP Outreach Coordinator to monitor medical insurance and SNAP coverage.
- Coordinate with medical personnel as needed.
- Make referrals and, as needed, for recovery-oriented supports including mental health and substance use disorders treatment.
- Participate as an active member of the Housing Team. This includes being a part of the program staff coverage, participating in housing applicant interviews, participating as a member of the program’s Determinations Team, and coordinating with other housing staff to assure that each youth is receiving support in developing and monitor plans to accomplish goals and meet program expectations.
- Participate in regular communication with Youth Department and Homeless Youth Continuum staff, including coordination via in-person, e-mail, phone contacts, and meetings.
- Complete all required service documentation in a professional, thorough, and timely manner.
- Maintain professional boundaries and performance at all times.
- Meet youth worker core competencies.
- Commit to continual learning and quality performance.
- MSW/MA in counseling preferred but not required.
- At least 2 years of case management experience required.
- Experience working with populations experiencing homelessness, adolescents, and/or people with mental health and substance use concerns.
- Current valid driver’s license required.
- Spanish language skills required.