The Housing Specialists provide innovative support services and programming for a diverse population of youth (primarily ages 18 – 24) in the onsite Transitional Housing program. Housing Specialists build positive relationships with youth through role modeling and mentoring.
This position will be about 31+ hours per week, Thursday through Sunday, and a combination of swing and overnight shifts. Pay is $13.38/hr with full medical and dental benefits,and 27 paid days off in the first year.
- Be available on site to residents on a regular basis, which includes 24-hour staffing at Outside In.
- Provide crisis counseling services to residents as needed.
- Utilize harm reduction philosophy in problem solving to help residents identify healthier options.
- Provide support for youth to accomplish the goals identified in their Action Plan.
- Provide individualized support as a Contact Person, meeting with youth weekly to develop and monitor plans to accomplish goals and meet program expectations.
- Support youth in a self-governance model of regular, weekly “pod” and quarterly “all resident” meetings.
- Design and facilitate life skill building workshops that meet the needs of current residents.
- Coordinate with agency and community to maximize youth access to skill building resources.
- Support youth in developing constructive use of time through community involvement, healthy recreation, etc.
- Identify cleaning needs for all housing common areas and medical housing units and plan to accomplish as needed.
- Oversee basic upkeep of the units, painting, repairs, etc, involving youth as much as possible.
- Identify maintenance issues and make requests for repairs. Follow through to assure completion of needed repairs.
- Identify security and safety issues. Communicate needs to support staff as necessary.
- Involve and empower youth residents in generating community. Support youth generated activities and governance.
- Share information about interventions with Case Manager when appropriate; participate in case planning to manage future crises when possible.
- Coordinate with agency and community resources to remove barriers and enhance youth’s chances for success.
- Plan services to meet the desired outcomes stated in contracts.
- Work with the team of Housing Program staff to evaluate team function and implement program changes.
- Debrief with fellow staff about crisis situations.
- Discuss challenging situations with youth and get feedback about how to support youth.
- Maintain accurate and timely documentation of all services and interventions.
- Review and assure accurate and timely documentation of all services and interventions in resident records and databases.
- Participate in discussions, events, workshops, and trainings offered by Outside In to foster cultural awareness.
- Two years relevant experience working with at- risk youth, homeless youth and/or in a shelter or transitional housing program.
- BA/BS in related field highly desirable (social services, counseling, prevention services).
- Strong communication skills.
- Basic computer skills.