YVR is made up of a team of diverse people who are working collaboratively to reach our goal of 29 million passengers by 2020! Safety is at the core of everything we do; we’re innovative, fun, and we invest in our people. We’re a BC Top Employer for 12 years standing, with high engagement scores, an abundance of learning and development opportunities, and a holistic approach to wellness! And we’re looking for someone to join our team.
With a stellar history of being one of Canada’s best health and safety cultures, join our team of health and safety professionals as we continue to improve and build our world class culture of health, safety and wellness.
We have a permanent full-time Safety Advisor position available in the Human Resources Department. Reporting to the Manager, Health & Safety, the successful candidate is a pro-active health and safety professional looking to use his or her health and safety management and strong field risk management experience to enhance and continually improve the Airport Authority’s health and safety management systems.
Key responsibilities include:
- Developing, implementing and reviewing proactive and leading-edge health and safety programs to ensure a safe and healthy environment, which includes conducting research, developing processes and systems, and leading internal audits of programs and practices
- Managing and implementing a comprehensive field health and safety risk management program which includes conducting inspections, risk assessments, risk mitigations and incident investigations
- Coaching and supporting operational departments by interpreting regulatory requirements, providing technical health and safety expertise, and minimizing operational safety risk
- Administering and delivering extensive health and safety training and initiatives including confined space, fall protection, chemical management, ergonomics, hearing conservation and respiratory protection
- Supporting a comprehensive contractor safety management program, which includes pre-qualification, project specific risk management and safety compliance oversight
- Developing and sustaining cooperative working relationships at all levels in the organization in addition to a wide network of external stakeholders
- Managing multiple priorities, such as overseeing day-to-day health and safety management issues, conducting field risk assessments and liaising with business partners, tenants and airlines on health and safety issues
Key qualifications include:
- Three to five years of recent related progressive experience supplemented by a post-secondary degree or diploma in health and safety or a related field; or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP), Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) or Registered Occupational Hygienist (ROH) designation (or suitable experience and education to attain one of the designations)
- Valid driver’s license required and ability to obtain Airside Vehicle Operators Permit
- Demonstrated experience in executing and operating successful health and safety programs and management systems
- Strong experience in developing and leading field health and safety management programs and processes
- Understanding of industrial hygiene and exposure assessment principles and practices
- Demonstrated experience with broad based occupational health and safety support in the identification, assessment and control of health and safety risks
- Thorough knowledge of federal and provincial regulations and guidelines governing occupational health and safety
- Exceptional communication skills, especially presentation and evidence of strong relationship-building skills
- Team player
- Proven ability to use judgment and make sound decisions as well as multitask effectively with an assertive leadership style while remaining calm under pressure
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite
This position is open to both Vancouver Airport Authority employees and external candidates. Previous job performance will be taken into consideration for all internal candidates that apply for this position.
As part of our recruitment process, short-listed candidates will be required to take part in an assessment process.
Vancouver Airport Authority welcomes applications from all qualified candidates, including women, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process and while working at YVR. If you require support applying online because you are a person with a disability, please contact us at 604-303-3152 or email@example.com. We welcome the opportunity to discuss accommodation of your disability and ensure fairness in our hiring process.