Say “apres-ski” and most people picture something strikingly similar to Ajax Tavern – glamorous yet easy. Its sun-drenched, mountainside patio can be seen from halfway up the mountain – a simple target for lunch or cocktails. Arrive, and let the people-watching begin, there’s no better seat in town. Located right next to the Silver Queen Gondola, Ajax Tavern is the hub for Aspen casual fine dining in an unbeatable atmosphere. The Tavern comes to life at lunch, and the party rolls on well into the night. If you go no further on the menu, try the truffle fries and Ajax double cheeseburger – they earned their reputation.
Responsible for the day to day operations of Ajax Tavern to include but not limited to opening and closing the restaurant, and ensuring patio and bar are ready for service. Responsibilities also include hosting pre-service meetings, scheduling employees and payroll, training and supervising staff on a daily basis, and managing reservation books and walk-in business. Work with culinary department to ensure all guests are served in a timely manner and service standards are being met, ascertain guest satisfaction and “touch” every table. Maintain the details of service and overall cleanliness and detail of both front and back of the house.
Essential Functions of the Job:
• Oversees service of lunch and/or dinner on a daily basis, ensuring service standards are consistently met and guests are happy. Handles guest complaints and makes upper management aware of all guest issues.
• Supervises staff on a daily basis, facilitates initial staff training and ongoing training for the all Ajax FOH staff. Recommends applicants for hire through the interview process established in the hotel.
• Ensures schedules are completed and posted by Thursday of each week for the following week. Adhere to staffing guidelines and schedule according to business levels.
• Handles staff corrective action, coaching and counseling adhering to the policies and procedures of the hotel. Follows progressive discipline as outlined in the supervisor’s manual.
• Responsible for cleanliness and upkeep of physical facilities. Reports any maintenance issues to Engineering Department via the work order system.
• Holds monthly staff meetings to provide open forum of communication, information about the hotel and parent company and continued training. Seek out staff opinions and recommendations for improvement.
• Attend and contribute to Restaurant Focus and Food and Beverage meetings.
• Enforce restaurant and hotel standards, procedures and policies.
• Communicate with Executive Chef concerning quality, presentation, timing and guest comments.
• Conduct daily pre-meal meeting and tasting, ensuing staffs’ knowledge of food, menus, beverage, wine and service. Ensure staff menu knowledge and service knowledge through verbal and written quizzes.
• Maintains adequate supply by reviewing requisitions daily.
• Recommend purchases to Food and Beverage Director. Ensure accuracy of requisitions and control costs.
• Maintain high level of guest satisfaction, makes immediate corrective action when guests’ needs are not met.
• Maintain professional appearance and conduct at all times. Ensures staffs appearance and conduct are impeccable. Restaurant cleanliness and organization are upheld and continually evolving.
• Assist in planning and executing special functions.
• Enforce local liquor and sanitation ordinances.
• Maintain log book and ensures entries are complete.
• Assist with conceptualization and marketing of special events throughout the year.
• Assist in emergency and security procedures as directed by management and the established emergency plan.
• Assist in controlling food and beverage costs.
• Conduct monthly wine and liquor inventories
• Establish and monitor sales incentives between service staff on a regular basis.
• Supervise staff in their work maintaining high performance levels.
• Supervise the care of equipment, minimizing waste, breakage and misuse.
• Control covers and revenues. Responsible for accuracy of staffs work. Summarize shift revenue report, deposits cash and tender properly
• Handle payroll and administrative duties, including PAF’s, employee performance evaluations, separation reports, etc. in a timely manner
Education, Experience, Skills:
• College preferred or hotel/restaurant training
• 2 years of experience managing an upscale casual restaurant
• Minimum of 6 years combination education/experience
• First Level Sommelier Certificate
• Knowledge of American Service, Micros System or equivalent
• Extensive wine knowledge
• Knowledge of food and cooking methods
• Ability to work well with people
• Strong organization and supervisory skills
• Ability to carry heavy loads such as trays and tables (40-60 pounds)
• Ability to pull heavy loads (300 pounds)
• Standing, bending, and stooping required