The Junior Service Technician is responsible for the day-to-day cleaning and maintenance of the apartment community in accordance with Shea Properties standards, policies and procedures. The Junior Service Technician performs janitorial, light carpentry, light plumbing, painting, light electrical, pool maintenance, and other general and preventative maintenance repairs.
The Junior Service Technician, as with all Shea team members, is expected to conduct himself/herself in a professional manner that is consistent with Shea Core Values and the Business Ethics, Employee Conduct and Confidentiality policy.
- Inspects and cleans all restroom facilities, leasing/management office, models, pool area, guest suites and recreational room facilities, and other common areas of the community.
- Inspects all common area grounds including landscape areas, streets, walkways and trash enclosures, removing all trash. Sweeps or washes common areas as directed.
- Assists with general cleaning and scheduled maintenance turnover work on vacant apartments in accordance with the move-in/move-out checklist and company policies and procedures.
- Delivers notices, flyers, and newsletters to residents when requested.
- Paints signs, posts, fences, fire hydrants, speed bumps, decking, curbs, and other areas as directed.
- Performs and assists in other general maintenance duties that are requested by the Service Manager.
- As directed, receives and stocks all maintenance supplies and materials.
- As directed, reconciles all packing slips to merchandise shipments, and forwards to the Service Manager.
- Regularly provides information to the Property Management Staff regarding safety concerns and the general appearance of the community to ensure a quality, safe living environment for the residents and marketability of the community.
- Promotes positive resident relations by projecting a courteous, helpful attitude and assisting residents with a helping hand when appropriate.
- Snow removal during the winter months.
- Follows all safety procedures and regulations
- Performs janitorial, light carpentry, light plumbing, painting, light electrical, pool maintenance, and other general and preventative maintenance repairs.
- Performs maintenance service requests (work orders) for the apartment community and completes related paper work in a competent, professional and courteous manner.
- Performs scheduled maintenance turnover work, noting safety equipment used and regulation followed on vacant apartments utilizing the move-in/move-out checklist, detailed unit status report, and company policies and procedures.
- Performs scheduled preventative maintenance in accordance with the community’s preventative maintenance program.
- Under the direction of the Service Manager, organizes parts and materials required for maintenance service requests and plans maintenance work in advance to ensure efficient completion of all maintenance work.
- Assists in maintaining inventory by properly monitoring and recording inventory items.
- Maintains all storage facilities, equipment and the maintenance workshop in a neat and orderly working condition.
- Regularly provides information to the Property Management Staff regarding safety concerns and the general appearance of the community to ensure, high quality, safe living environment for the residents and marketability of the community.
- Provides on-call maintenance for evenings, weekends and holidays as scheduled.
- Provides and maintains his/ her own hand tools customarily used in the industry and building trades.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Actual job duties and responsibilities may vary depending on the size of the community.
Technical/Professional Knowledge (Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience)
- Experience and knowledge of painting, carpentry, electrical, plumbing, and pool maintenance.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Provide exceptional customer service.
- Operate hand tools.
- Knowledge of First Aid and Safety procedures.
- Must have basic computer skills and be able to create and close out work orders and respond to emails.
- Previous building/apartment related maintenance experience a plus.
- High School Diploma or equivalent. Specialized courses in HVAC, plumbing, electrical, appliance repair, and carpentry preferred.
- Safety Awareness
- Performance Excellence
- Building Positive Relationships
- Customer Focus
- Continuous Learning
The Junior Service Technician works on-site at an apartment community and interfaces with external/internal customers, residents, and vendors on a regular basis. The position work schedule varies depending on the property. Hours are usually scheduled from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. and are typically scheduled to work weekend days (Sat/Sun). Must be available to work over-time as needed, participate in snow removal which usually starts no later than 5:30 a.m., and work on-call schedule. The Junior Service Technician should be flexible with availability depending on the needs of the property. Must be able to travel as needed, 10-25% of the time.
The Junior Service Technician, while performing the duties of this job, must be able to frequently stand, walk, sit, use hands, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. May be required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and operate power tools.
Shea Properties is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.