Give hope. Give health. Make your mark in the fight against cancer.
At Accuray, we make a direct and powerful impact on the lives of cancer patients every day — helping them live longer, better lives. But our commitment to innovation offers a truly unique opportunity: the chance to change the fight against cancer — helping to develop, introduce and support new treatment delivery systems and software that will give new hope and new health to cancer patients and cancer survivors around the world.
OUR VISION AND MISSION is to work passionately to create a future without the fear, pain or human suffering of cancer. We pursue this by developing precise, innovative tumor treatment solutions that empower clinicians and help cancer patients live longer, better lives.
Accuray develops, manufactures and sells radiotherapy systems that make cancer treatments shorter, safer, personalized and more effective, ultimately enabling patients to live longer, better lives. Our radiation treatment delivery systems in combination with fully-integrated software solutions set the industry standard for precision and cover the full range of radiation therapy and radiosurgery procedures.
The Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for researching, planning, designing and developing the mechanical and structural portions of the company’s products. This individual will also direct and coordinate activities involved in process selection for the fabrication, assembly and testing of mechanical designs in accordance with product requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Researches, analyzes and plans the mechanical design in accordance with product requirements as established from various sources including marketing, manufacturing, reliably, and customer specification documents.
- Designs and develops product components and assemblies including detailed mechanical design and documentation. Hands-on mechanical design, analysis (including FEA), prototyping, debugging, system integration and testing are key components of the development activities.
- Selects, in conjunction with Purchasing and Regulatory, Quality and Compliance, potential suppliers for the company’s various components. Selection process may include site visits, review of questionnaires and quality documents, interviews and assessment of product quality.
- Documents, implements and tests mechanical design requirements for production. This includes supporting transfer of relevant design output documents and recommended process instructions.
- Construction of accurate BOMs based on legacy and new designs.
- Determine inspection criteria for current and new designs.
- Investigate the applicability of various manufacturing processes to our fabrication needs.
- Supports the Mechanical Engineering Manager in establishing or updating project and departmental deliverables.
- Provides technical leadership, leads by example, and mentors other employees within the Mechanical Engineering group and Product Development.
- May serve as the lead Mechanical Engineer on projects, and coordinate the work of other engineers, technicians, or contributors.
- Assures that quality processes are followed on projects and within the Mechanical Engineering group.
- Contributes to the development or improvement of processes
Safety and Quality:
- Ensure safety and quality considerations and requirements are pro-actively addressed and implemented in product design.
- Address and manage in a timely fashion safety and quality issues raised by customers or staff.
- Supports Accuray’s Quality System and Safety and Health Program by following procedures and mentoring others.
- Preferred or Desired
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or closely related field and1-5 years of design and development experience in a highly regulated device manufacturing industry.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or closely related field and 5 plus years of design and development experience in the medical device, electronics, or other relevant device manufacturing industry.
- Hands-on experience with standard shop fabrication equipment (lathes, sheet metal machining centers, etc.).
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Good computer skills, including the use of standard office software programs including spreadsheet, word processing and email applications.
At Accuray Our commitment to patient-first outcomes drives an inclusive and collaborative work environment where the best ideas rise to the top — and everyone works to push them further. We value diversity in both the professional and personal backgrounds of our employees, as this variety adds rich energy to every team, every project and every work day. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.