Team Lead, Corporate Underwriting - Regional
Are you highly analytical, a firm decision maker and strong negotiator? Are you looking for the next step in your career with Economical? If you answered yes then we have just the opportunity for you!
We are looking for a Team Lead, Corporate Underwriting to join our Corporate Underwriting - Regional team. The successful candidate will report to the Director, Corporate Underwriting - Regional. The Team Leader, Corporate Underwriting - Regional is accountable for managing all phases of new product development and ongoing product management for our fleet and garage commercial lines. This role is located at Head Office in Waterloo.
** Please note that this is a 1-year contract or secondment **
Who We Are:
Economical Insurance is one of Canada’s leading property and casualty insurance companies, but there’s really much more to us than that. Since our beginnings in 1871, we’ve been an organization that has imagined bigger and better things, inspiring us to take chances and think innovatively.
Our employees are the reason we’ve come as far as we have, and the reason we’ll go much further still. We focus on our customers first, we bring our best, and we’re stronger together.
Who We Are Looking for:
Specifically, the incumbent will be accountable for managing the competitive and regulatory research required to support ongoing product management and innovation initiatives. He/she will also be responsible for the development of related product offerings and support rate structures, including defining risk appetite and the associated acceptability and underwriting classification criteria, as well as the complimenting product design and coverage wordings.
- Lead our Fleet and Garage commercial automobile team, the development of new product features, underwriting criteria and guidelines, and rate structure innovations within Commercial Mid Market in support of profitable growth and in alignment with our refreshed corporate vision, mission and values
- Focus on developing improvements to the product and rate change review processes to maximize efficiencies, capitalize on timely business opportunities, and increase our overall speed to market for new offerings
- Facilitate product implementation efforts with internal stakeholders, as required
- Improve the effectiveness of our competitive research and market intelligence processes by maintaining and refining our existing competitor databases for pricing, product features, and underwriting criteria
- Exhibit business and underwriting acumen when consulting with Regional Underwriting stakeholders
- Provide leadership, guidance, technical instruction, direction, ongoing feedback, mentoring and support to direct reports regarding performance, productivity, work quality, personal conduct, and adherence to Corporate policies and procedures
- Be actively involved in the recruitment and retention of experienced departmental staff
- Monitor the performance of our regional portfolio against operational plan and identify and execute strategies to improve results in collaboration with PPA management
- Correspond with regulatory bodies, as needed
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to coach, develop, motivate and retain staff.
- Strong analytical abilities, especially in the area of numerical analysis.
- The ability to understand a business challenge or opportunity and then use statistical analysis to bring forth recommendations.
- Remain calm under pressure and perform well in a busy environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Team player
- Team player who thrives in a changing environment
- Performs well in a busy operation and remains calm under pressure
- Consistently demonstrates leadership characteristics and is able to make well-informed, effective, and timely decisions
- Thinks strategically and demonstrates a compliment of product, pricing, and underwriting knowledge In decision making
- Self-motivated and consistently demonstrates an ability to take initiative on any issue
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and project management / organizational skills
- Strong negotiation, persuasion, and facilitation skills in order to help manage ongoing product development efforts with various internal stakeholder groups
- Professional, friendly and courteous in all interactions with customers and / or co-workers
- CIP, FCIP, and / or CRM designations are advantageous, but not mandatory
- At minimum 4 years of relevant, full-time property & casualty insurance experience is required with a preference for individuals who have experience managing or leading a team