Because a changing industry calls for a new way of doing things. An ambitious, innovative and fast-paced company, we offer exceptional training and development programs, competitive pay, great benefits, a company-matched savings plan, and paid volunteer days — all within an engaging, fun, and collaborative work environment.
Founded more than 145 years ago, Economical is one of Canada’s leading property and casualty insurance companies. We rely on our national network of more than 800 independent brokers to sell a range of car, home, business, and farm insurance solutions. With Sonnet and Petline, we’re extending our reach through the direct-to-customer channel. With more than 2,400 active employees across the country and a commitment to rethinking the insurance experience, we’re poised for great things.
We’re now adding to our high-performance team to take us into the future. Let’s rethink insurance, together.
Team Leader, Regional Claims (Special Risk Group)
Reporting to the Director, Claims Special Risk you are accountable for leading a team of highly technical claims handlers managing large, complex and specialty claims. You will provide the team with direction and coaching to ensure the efficient handling of these claims.
This opportunity is available in Kitchener/Waterloo, Mississauga or Toronto. The location of the opportunity will be determined by the location of the successful candidate.
Who We’re Looking for:
- Professional, friendly and courteous in all interactions, whether with customers or co-workers.
- Perform well in a busy operation and remain calm under pressure.
- Team player adaptable to a changing environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational, negotiation, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Providing ongoing coaching and mentoring to the team in the management of day-to-day business issues applying Performance Management Cycle model.
- Analyzing, developing and implementing an efficient claims system by monitoring delivery systems, procedures and methods to help improve processes and results.
- Monitoring and Managing new intake and pending analysis.
- Providing coaching and performance feedback to Claims Handlers by reviewing reports, discussing options, and developing action plans.
- Coaching and developing to maintain sufficient reserves to cover losses.
- Coaching and developing the team to achieve Economical Insurance claims file quality standards.
- Monitoring and analyzing service levels.
- Fostering staff development by assisting with the selection of staff, conducting performance evaluations, providing ongoing and effective feedback, identifying training opportunities and keeping staff informed of changes to policies and procedures.
- Accountable for the performance management of assigned staff.
- Initiating interviews for vacancies within the unit and makes recommendations for new hires.
Your Skills & Experience:
- University degree in any discipline or a college diploma or fully completed CIP designation
- Minimum of 10 years' experience in claims, preferably in multi-lines and specialty areas
- Experience in property casualty and US loss claims
- 3-5 years Leadership experience is preferred including experience in performance management
- Strong people leader with experience coaching through change management
- A collaborative team player
- Demonstrated organizational, negotiation, analytical and interpersonal skills are essential
What You’ll Experience:
- An incredible team of smart, diverse, and supportive people that want to help you be better at what you do
- Great benefits, ongoing education, and competitive pay
- Unexpected perks to keep things fun
At Economical, we all work together to come up with big ideas — then bring them to life. We focus on our customers first, we bring our best, and we’re stronger together. If you’ve got the passion and the desire to help us reinvent insurance, let’s talk.
HOW TO APPLY
To complete the online application process, you’ll need to upload your resume before you apply for the role you’re interested in. Please note that only one document can be uploaded, so be sure to combine your resume and cover letter.
We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment that welcomes diversity and supports accessibility across the organization. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: email@example.com .
Visit economical.com to learn more about us and what we’re up to.
Economical Insurance includes the following companies: Economical Mutual Insurance Company, Family Insurance Solutions Inc., Sonnet Insurance Company, Petline Insurance Company.