Reporting to the VP, Application Solutions, the Director, Technology is accountable for the effective and efficient delivery and quality of technology solutions through strong partnerships with business and technology partners. This is accomplished through strategic planning, deep industry knowledge, trend insight, and continuous evolution. The successful candidate will be intimately familiar with the development practice and the applications within his/her domain.
Because a changing industry calls for a new way of doing things. An ambitious, innovative and fast-paced company, we offer exceptional training and development programs, competitive pay, great benefits, company-matched RRSPs, and paid volunteer days — all within an engaging, fun, and collaborative work environment.
Founded more than 145 years ago, Economical is one of Canada’s leading property and casualty insurance companies. We rely on our national network of more than 800 independent brokers to sell a range of car, home, business, and farm insurance solutions. With Sonnet and Petline, we’re extending our reach through the direct-to-customer channel. With more than 2,400 active employees across the country and a commitment to rethinking the insurance experience, we’re poised for great things.
We’re now adding to our high-performance team to take us into the future. Let’s rethink insurance, together.
In this role, you will:
- manage the intake and delivery processes for the members of the development team, including the creation of estimates for projects within the portfolio, current workload and throughput, governance, organizational design and tools
- prioritize, drive and validate strategies and roadmaps with respect to the application portfolio
- lead the technical and professional development of team members
- deliver and/or support medium to large-scale, complex enterprise technology solutions/services, as executed by team members and/or vendors, ensuring standards are met and business objectives are achieved
- act as an escalation path to resolve issues and remove obstacles for the development team and provide technical leadership and guidance beyond the immediate team
- ensure technology direction, principles and standards are understood, aligned and followed
- plan and prioritize work for the development team based on approved and funded priorities
- partner with Enterprise and Solution Architecture to contribute to solutions, direct and validate design artifacts, contribute to enterprise strategy via validation and research exercises
- own platform specification and design, and collaborate across the various technology teams to help remove roadblocks
- coordinate with external vendors and internal Technical Vendor Management office, Enterprise Procurement and Legal teams to manage relationships and contractual agreements
- partner with the TS Information Security and Technology Risk, EP, Finance and Human Resources teams to ensure adherence to company policies
- partner with the resource management team to ensure all resources, including vendor resources, are on-boarded with the right skills when required and off-boarded when workload dictates following technology direction, principles and standards
- create and maintain the staffing plan for the development team to meet demand and perform corresponding updates to Clarity
- understand the internal and external landscape for standards and practices for development, and plan and execute the overall TS portfolio deliverables related to this function
- provide updates to the TS Senior Leadership Team and business leaders, and stay abreast of industry and global trends
- act as a key contributor on the TS Leadership Team and play a crucial role in the continued execution and outcomes for the development function at Economical
- provide coaching and mentoring to direct reports and team members while promoting a positive and professional team environment
Your Skills and Experience
- University degree or college diploma in Computer Science, Information Systems or a related discipline
- 10+ years of application development and support experience with 7+ years of experience leading large development teams including career development, goal setting and performance management
- Proven track record in successfully leading and delivering large-scale, highly complex enterprise technology solutions
- Experience in implementing and supporting large-scale Guidewire implementations (PolicyCenter, BillingCenter, ClaimCenter) would be a definite asset.
- Experience in managing and partnering with 3rd party vendors and resources
- Expert interpersonal and presentation skills to facilitate working effectively with management at all levels, including C-level executives
- Demonstrated expertise in developing vendor partnerships, contract negotiations and managing offshore teams
- Expert knowledge of software development life cycle (SDLC) and program/project delivery methodologies and best practices (including Agile/Scrum, Iterative, Waterfall, Test-driven Development, etc.)
- In-depth knowledge of software engineering tools and practices as well as DevOps including Continuous Integration and Deployment
- Extensive knowledge of IT governance, risk management, security and policy development
- Solid organization skills with the ability to make sound decisions confidently and effectively in a fast-paced, multi-stakeholder environment with competing needs, deadlines and priorities
- Experience with the following tools/technology/platforms/development methodologies: Jira, Jenkins, GitHub, SonarQube, PaaS, multi-tier architecture, service-oriented architecture, micro-service architecture, Agile software development, CI/CD-Continuous integration and Continuous delivery, test-driven development, PoLP - Principle of Least Privilege, object-oriented security
At Economical, we all work together to come up with big ideas — then bring them to life. We focus on our customers first, we bring our best, and we’re stronger together. If you’ve got the passion and the desire to help us reinvent insurance, let’s talk.
HOW TO APPLY
To complete the online application process, you’ll need to upload your resume before you apply for the role you’re interested in. Please note that only one document can be uploaded, so be sure to combine your resume and cover letter.
We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment that welcomes diversity and supports accessibility across the organization. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit economical.com to learn more about us and what we’re up to.
Economical Insurance includes the following companies: Economical Mutual Insurance Company, The Missisquoi Insurance Company, Perth Insurance Company, Waterloo Insurance Company, Family Insurance Solutions Inc., Sonnet Insurance Company, Petline Insurance Company.