As a core member of the Data and Analytic Services team, The Big Data Developer is responsible for delivering new components, enhancements and supporting maintenance of the existing Big Data platform and ETL pipeline at Economical.
* This position is available to candidates in Kitchener or Toronto.
Because a changing industry calls for a new way of doing things. An ambitious, innovative and fast-paced company, we offer exceptional training and development programs, competitive pay, great benefits, company-matched RRSPs, and paid volunteer days — all within an engaging, fun, and collaborative work environment.
Founded more than 145 years ago, Economical is one of Canada’s leading property and casualty insurance companies. We rely on our national network of more than 800 independent brokers to sell a range of car, home, business, and farm insurance solutions. With Sonnet and Petline, we’re extending our reach through the direct-to-customer channel. With more than 2,400 active employees across the country and a commitment to rethinking the insurance experience, we’re poised for great things.
We’re now adding to our high-performance team to take us into the future. Let’s rethink insurance, together.
In this role, you will:
- build and deliver high quality application solutions to design specifications, standards and user requirements
- collaborate with the Technical Lead, business stakeholders, program and project management and systems integration partners throughout the development and delivery lifecycle, to ensure that the solution meets technical design frameworks, requirements and best practices
- Develop high quality solutions and enhance Big Data pipeline to extract data from various source systems using Big Data technology, then load them into Enterprise Data Lake
- Collaborate with the Technical Lead to automate unit tests, applying development practices such as TDD and Pair Programming
- Unit testing, support story testing and system testing their code
- Proactively identify technical debt and seek ways to improve via refactoring of code
- Provide assistance to the application support team in troubleshooting and resolving production issues
- Verify that solution documentation is complete, accurate, auditable and traceable to business and/or systems requirements
- Collaborate with the Scrum Master and team to develop and maintain the project Kanban system and the sprint and release plan
- Assist in the translation of requirements into a story map in collaboration with the Discovery Team
- Design solutions according to the specific requirements being specified during the current sprint
- Support the team to obtain stakeholder buy-in and acceptance for application and technical designs
- Work collaboratively with the system integration partners, Designers, Architects, Technical Lead, Business Analysts, Technical Testers and other Developers to collaborate on detailed designs
- Communicate project status and provide timely escalation of issues to ensure project objectives are met
- Participate in knowledge transfer within the team and business units
- Ensure that design and development knowledge is codified, monitored, tracked and managed
- Coordinate/facilitate training and communication of key knowledge assets with all required SMEs
- Assess the likelihood of issues based on the complexity of the solution and other influencing factors (experience level of the individual or team, novelty of the technique, application or language, condition of the source data)
- Create a risk response (mitigate, ignore, transfer, accept) that eliminates the risk or minimizes the impact of risks that become an issue
- Adhere to existing processes/standards, business technology architecture, risk and production capacity guidelines
Your Skills and Experience
- 5+ years of experience in building Java/Scala projects
- 2+ years of experience in developing ETL pipeline and analytics applications in Java/Scala for Big Data Hadoop platforms such as Cloudera or Hortonworks
- Solid experience with Apache Hadoop, HDFS, Spark, Hive, Impala and other big-data technologies
- Experience with Kafka, Spark streaming, Flume, messaging services (MQ) and batch and real-time streaming/ingestion techniques
- Experience with NoSQL schema design (or others similar)
- Experience with developing applications utilizing different file formats such as XML, JSON, Avro, Parquet
- Strong experience with SQL and knowledge of data warehouse design and modelling concepts
- Solid experience with Linux Shell/Bash scripts and overall Linux OS concepts
- 3+ years of experience in Agile/Scrum development practices using JIRA or Confluence
- Experience with continuous integration/delivery best-practices, technologies and tools such as Bitbucket/GitHub, Jenkins and Artifactory
- Experience developing cloud-based applications with AWS or Azure
- The following tools and technologies are considered assets:
- Docker, MicroServices, Kubernetes
- RESTFUL web services development
- Python and machine learning algorithms/libraries etc
- ETL tools such as Pentaho, Talend
- Job scheduling tools such as Control-M and Oozie
At Economical, we all work together to come up with big ideas — then bring them to life. We focus on our customers first, we bring our best, and we’re stronger together. If you’ve got the passion and the desire to help us reinvent insurance, let’s talk.
HOW TO APPLY
To complete the online application process, you’ll need to upload your resume before you apply for the role you’re interested in. Please note that only one document can be uploaded, so be sure to combine your resume and cover letter.
We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment that welcomes diversity and supports accessibility across the organization. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit economical.com to learn more about us and what we’re up to.
Economical Insurance includes the following companies: Economical Mutual Insurance Company, The Missisquoi Insurance Company, Perth Insurance Company, Waterloo Insurance Company, Family Insurance Solutions Inc., Sonnet Insurance Company, Petline Insurance Company.