Because a changing industry calls for a new way of doing things. An ambitious, innovative and fast-paced company, we offer exceptional training and development programs, competitive pay, great benefits, company-matched RRSPs, and paid volunteer days — all within an engaging, fun, and collaborative work environment.
Founded more than 145 years ago, Economical is one of Canada’s leading property and casualty insurance companies. We rely on our national network of more than 800 independent brokers to sell a range of car, home, business, and farm insurance solutions. With Sonnet and Petline, we’re extending our reach through the direct-to-customer channel. With more than 2,400 active employees across the country and a commitment to rethinking the insurance experience, we’re poised for great things.
We’re now adding to our high-performance team to take us into the future. Let’s rethink insurance, together.
Please Note: This position may be based out of any of the branches listed below.
Mississauga, London, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Woodstock, Waterloo, Toronto-Metro, Montreal, Halifax
Reporting to the Team Leader, Large Complex & Specialty Claims, you are a senior claims professional with a track record of progressively challenging assignments. You are motivated by a challenge and strive to continually push the boundaries of your adjusting experience and personal learnings You have managed a portfolio of claims that include large CGL claims. You have some familiarity with US liability, class actions, environmental and / or latent claims. You are comfortable assuming carriage of complex and challenging claims with a clear ability to evaluate the exposure and develop a strategy bring matters to a conclusion. You are comfortable working with autonomy but have a keen sense of team and are open to coaching and mentoring. You have a desire to work at the pinnacle of the adjusting experience, on a high-performance team.
- Manage a portfolio of large complex claims, including large CI property claims.
- Manage a portfolio of claims including large subscription CI, EBI, Energy, Course of Construction, Wrap-Up, Contingent Loss with the support of a mentor.
- Coach and Mentor junior staff.
- Engage all stakeholders in the effective management of a claim including underwriting, reinsurance, actuary and senior leadership.
- Assist in the quality assurance audits of our Claims staff, vendors and brokers.
- Represent Economical in litigation, mediation and alternate dispute processes.
- Assist in training and providing technical support to team members.
- Professional, friendly and courteous in all interactions, whether with customers, co-workers or vendors.
- Perform well in a busy operation and remain calm under pressure.
- Strive to continually push the boundaries of your adjusting experience and personal learnings.
- Team player adaptable to a changing environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently
- University degree in any discipline or a 2 year college diploma from a provincially recognized and funded community college or fully completed CIP designation.
- A minimum of 8 - 10 years general claims handling experience.
- A minimum of 4 years claims experience handling large Commercial Property claims.
- Preference will be given to experience handling CI, EBI, Energy, Course of Construction, Wrap-Up, Contingent Loss.
- Experience with mediation, arbitration and litigation.
- Experience coaching and mentoring junior staff.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Proficient in MS Office and strong computer skills.
At Economical, we all work together to come up with big ideas — then bring them to life. We focus on our customers first, we bring our best, and we’re stronger together. If you’ve got the passion and the desire to help us reinvent insurance, let’s talk.
HOW TO APPLY
To complete the online application process, you’ll need to upload your resume before you apply for the role you’re interested in. Please note that only one document can be uploaded, so be sure to combine your resume and cover letter.
We are committed to providing an inclusive work environment that welcomes diversity and supports accessibility across the organization. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit economical.com to learn more about us and what we’re up to.
Economical Insurance includes the following companies: Economical Mutual Insurance Company, Family Insurance Solutions Inc., Sonnet Insurance Company, Petline Insurance Company.