The Director, Product Management is responsible for owning the overall competitiveness of the HD Vest Financial Services offering to Advisors and their clients. This includes all touch points, including but not limited to, HDVLink (advisor), Client Portal, Digital Advice Solutions, Analytics, Advisor and Client Reporting. In addition, Segment ownership and tailoring solutions to each segment based on need and value. Overarching focus will be on the Advisor and Client experience.
The Product Management function is critical to the future value proposition of an evolving company. This will include casting a vision for the future of the product offering, developing the roadmap to deliver upon the vision and influencing vendors/partners and cross-functional teams to execute. The Product Manager will be expected to drive strategy and perpetually evolve and enhance the roadmap. Individual must understand the long and short-term needs of the business, Advisor population, end client and competitive landscape of the product market space. Must become an expert on the competitive market and assess the HD Vest offering from features to pricing to ensure differentiation where possible.
The Product Manager will act as a liaison between Product Team and Software Engineering team, Key Vendor/Partners, Senior Leadership Team, Executive Leadership team and Advisors. This entrepreneurial position will require significant self-driven initiative and ability to work across functional teams of HD Vest and Blucora bringing product from ideation through several phases of deployment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Major responsibilities of the position are listed below. To perform the job successfully, the individual must be able to execute each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Develop and Evolve Strategy (25% of time )
- Owns assigned product(s) and is the Product Owner role within the SCRUM process
- Assists with the creative concept & functional direction of assigned products
- Conducts research, plans/establishes appropriate documentation and estimations for future projects
- Liaison between Key Stakeholders (20%)
- Ability to analyze user data for trends, tracking, and reporting of issues in order to share findings with leadership
- Works directly with IT, client support, marketing, clients, and end users to ensure products meet users and business needs
- Driving Implementation (50%)
- Collaborates with development and architects on new technology to drive innovative thinking and output
- Creates and distributes product documentation (such as status reports, user flows/stories, developing wireframes, etc.)
- Reporting (5%)
- Reviews, participates, maintains product forecasting and other financial reports on product (s)
- Other job duties as defined.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in business, computer science, or a related field
- 7+ years of Product Management work experience in a tech company, financial services company, or equivalent experience. Experience working with Independent Financial Advisors is a plus.
- Demonstrates strong problem solving, organizational and analytical skills, with the ability to evolve product strategy based on research, data and industry trends
- Detail-oriented with a clear ability to work independently under management/time pressure
- Able to deliver successful product outcomes in an agile / scrum environment
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Resourceful, team player, high energy and flexible. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Motivates a cross-functional team, as well as strong negotiation skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to multi-task and quickly shift priorities when needed
- Desire to remain current with the latest technologies and best practices
- Able to perform or excel in ambiguous circumstances
- Customer and Personal Service — Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Understanding and Experience within Financial Services – Knowledge of advisor and wealth management related business, tax related businesses and serving both professional service providers as well as end consumers.
- Critical Thinking — Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination — Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Monitoring — Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Reading Comprehension — Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking — Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Oral Comprehension — The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression — The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Written Comprehension — The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Written Expression — The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- Problem Sensitivity — The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
Physical Demand and Work Effort
- Keying/typing, sitting, standing, walking.
- Constant mental and/or visual attention; the work is either repetitive or diversified requiring constant alertness in an office environment.
- The job is typically performed under comfortable working conditions; any disagreeable elements are generally absent during normal performance of the job.
- Compliance with company attendance standards.
- FLSA status: Salaried, Exempt.