Picture yourself adding your creativity toward game-changing innovation. Our businesses operate at the intersection of tax preparation and financial planning, and our competitive advantage lies in their unique combination. With award-winning products and services through our TaxAct and HD Vest brands, Blucora is on the forefront of financial tech, turning taxes into opportunity for our consumers, small business customers and tax professionals. We have a culture of creating market disruption; a place where big ideas, and those who think them, can flourish. If you’re interested in being part of a team that dreams large, talks straight, and helps millions of customers every year build their financial future, then we should talk!
The Commercial Counsel is responsible for acting as counsel to the business, negotiating and drafting general business and commercial agreements (such as licensing agreements, vendor agreements, and other technology services agreements), reviewing marketing materials, providing day-to-day legal advice, problem solving issue that arise, and assisting with other varied legal matters as the need arises.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Major responsibilities of the position are listed below. To perform the job successfully, the individual must be able to execute each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Collaborate with departments to identify legal issues and assist the business in achieving its goals/objectives in a legally compliant and ethical manner.
- Prepare, negotiate and review commercial contracts, terms and conditions, technology and media licensing agreements and service agreements.
- Review and revise marketing and advertising materials for compliance with legal requirements while helping implement good practices regarding development of same.
- Proactively identify legal and regulatory trends and provide related advice.
- Assist with employment and human resource matters.
- Develop and implement internal legal procedures and compliance programs.
- Develop a thorough understanding of Blucora’s businesses, strategies, external commercial marketplace and regulatory environment.
- Build relationships with business unit team members through an open and collaborative style.
- Analyze, formulate and implement various strategies in a way that supports the business objectives while mitigating legal risk.
- Coordinate with external counsel when specialized legal issues arise and assist in managing the work provided by external counsel and the budget for those services.
- Other job duties as defined.
Education and Experience
- Must have JD from a competitive law school and current membership in at least one state bar.
- A Minimum of 6+ years of legal experience.
- Experience drafting and negotiating a wide variety of agreements: end-user license agreements, employment contracts, master service agreements, referral and marketing agreements, technology and media licensing agreements, purchase agreements, confidentiality agreements, and other general business contracts.
- Experience reviewing materials for compliance with legal standards.
- Experience reviewing marketing materials for compliance with FTC and other regulatory guidelines.
- First class interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with a variety of contacts, including outside attorneys, senior management, and business associates.
- Ability to adapt in a constantly evolving environment.
- Must have a low-ego, collaborative style and be able to operate with humility and a growth mindset.
- Experience with Internal Revenue Code 7216 preferred but not preferred
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, precedents, government regulations, statutes, executive orders and agency rules.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, operational planning and coordination of people and resources.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Speech Clarity - The ability to speak clearly, so others can understand you.
- Written Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
We offer a competitive salary, outstanding benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, paid vacation and sick days, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, and 401(k) with company match.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, or disability.